Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

French: desperate for information/opinions!

Hello. I am posting because my husband and I are considering a family name for a baby due this winter (if it is male) but I am unable to find out much information about this name and seeking opinions and information about this name.

My husband’s grandfather (born 1898) was named French with a somewhat common Scotch-Irish surname. We are considering French as a first name but I would really like to learn more about the name and hear opinions about the name from others. Does anyone know anything about this name or have opinions about it?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Sincerely, Hallie

I don't know anything about the name and I have never heard of anyone with it before. I probably found the same thing you did when I tried to look it up. All I saw was French baby names. My opinion is neutral. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. It is kind of cute. It might sound silly though if you have an Irish last name that starts with Mc or O'.

His name was literally French? Like English, British, Chinese, Canadian, American, or Moroccan?

It'd work as a nickname for one of the names teacherma listed but I'd avoid it as a given name. It's like saying your child is French, or speaks French. Just think if your child went to France some day? "What's your name?" French. "What?" French. You know, like the French language, French culture... *stares blankly*

I'd consider using grandpa's middle name instead.
    Last edited by scarletrune; July 23rd, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I really dislike it. I agree that it may sound very silly with a typically Irish last name, as well. It's just a really odd name, with no potential nicknames that I can think of. It reminds me of the movie Where the Heart Is, where Natalie Portman plays a teenager who has a baby in Walmart and names her Americus. I think you should look for something else from your family tree.
    ElizabethAlessandraBronwenDylanJamesSilasJoseph

French Stewart (born Milton French Stewart) is the only reference that I have for French as a given name. French Stewart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps Francis or Frank (or even Francisco, Francesco, or Franco) might also be work considering.
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell