Names Searched Right Now:

Need Naming Help!!!!!

I am in need of serious help! I am writing a story, and I have a plot written out and everything, but I have not a single character's name. I just need suggestions for their names so I can move on to the actual writing part of my story. The story idea is basically a girl finds out that she is part of a secret race of people who look like humans but have special powers. This "secret world" is in the midst of a war and they need the girl to help them. Sorry for not including details-- I don't want to give too much of the plot away. Please help! Here are the character's descriptions:

The Main Character-- She has long curly-ish dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, and is average height. She is very pretty, but she thinks she is just plain and average. She is shy, quiet, and just wants to fit in. She just turned 16. I like names that are long and have nicknames for her. I want the name to be common, a name you hear almost every day. I think her last name is going to be Edwards, but it depends on the first name, also. I like the name Amelia for her, but I might name the Love Interest Alec and I don't want the names to both start with A.

The Love Interest-- Like all other Love Interests, he is good-looking. Like REALLY HOT . He has wavy dark brown hair, honey brown eyes, and is tall for his age. He is very funny and outgoing, and is kind of the opposite of the MC. He is 17. I first wanted his name to be Alexander, nn Alec, but I just read a book with one of the minor characters named Alexander with the nickname Alec. I absolutley love this name for him, but I'm wondering if people will notice it-- the book I read with the name Alec in it was City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. It's going to be a movie soon, and I don't want people to think that I copied it. I need your opinions for this, please! I also was thinking of Jake or Liam for his name. WDYT?

The Leader-- He is the "Leader" of a secret world in the story. It's hard to explain who he is and what he does without giving too much away from the story... I guess you could say he is kind of a king or president of the secret organization. He is actually hundreds of years old, but he only looks about 50. He has wise grey eyes and long white hair that comes to his chin. I was thinking a sort of uncommon name for him, like Atlas or something along those lines.

The Main Character's Parents-- The MC's parents have no clue what is going on. They are your typical parents-- the mother has blonde hair and blue eyes, the dad has brown hair and brown eyes. The mother is a psychologist, and the father is a teacher. They should have average parent names, like Hannah and Mike--I would use these names, but I have friends named Hannah and Mike, and I can't stop imagining them when I hear these names.

These are the main characters in my story. Please help me come up with names for them! I don't need surnames, just first and middle names! Please help me!
    Last edited by rainierloner; July 23rd, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
    ♂ Alexander "Alec" Everett "Rett" James "Jem" ♂
    ♀ Adelaide "Addie" Beatrice "Bea" Emmeline "Em" Josephine "Josie" ♀

MC: Amelia is fairly common, obvious nicknames being Amy or Mia. Without knowing too much about her, I'd say Amelia is a good fit.

LI: I doubt anyone would think you "copied" the name from City of Bones. I'm familiar with the series, and unless the personalities match up, no one can sue you for using the same name. Alec, however, strikes me as more of a serious nickname for someone so funny and outgoing. Alex, while maybe more common, seems to suit him better. If you don't want multiple A names, I'd suggest Benjamin nn Ben, Reid, Thomas nn Tom, Patrick, Mitchell, Brendan, Noah, David, Carter, Jack, Rory or Nicholas nn Nick.

Leader: Atlas sounds too bold and rebellious for him, in my opinion. Rhys, Theophilius, Reinhold, Bartholomew, Ephraim, Lazarus, Hannibal, Mortimer, Elias, Bishop, Lucius, Sumner, Alpheus, Igor, Cornelius, Mikhail.

Parents: Hannah and Mike seem a little too plain. I'm not quite sure whether your book has fantasy elements or not, so I'm not sure how plain or unusual they should be. In any case, Anna and Myron sound much better. Also consider Steven nn Steve, Jeffrey nn Jeff, Matthew nn Matt, Daniel nn Dan for Dad, and Jane, Molly, Judith, Charlotte, Jodi, Suzanne, Josephine and Rebecca for Mom. Also keep in mind that since most kids don't refer to their parents by their first names, usually just Mom and Dad will suffice. Don't waste time naming all of them unless your particular character has a reason to be named.

I hope I helped!

Thank you so much, bibliophile! I absolutley love the names Suzanne and Jeff for the parents, so that's taken care of. I see now that Atlas seemed too much for the Leader. I really like your suggestions Ephraim, Lazarus, Lucius, and Sumner! I'm going to use one of those, so thank you! As for the Love Interest, I now think that no one will notice that I used Alexander from City of Bones, and if they do, it's not a big deal. I liked your suggestions a lot, but I think I'm going to stick to Alexander.

The MC's name still remains unknown. At first, I was going to stick to Amelia, but I don't want her and the LI's names to both start with an A. I like the name Rosalie, nn Rose, for her, but I need your opinions on this before I make any final decisions. WDYT of Rosalie?

Also, I have new character's names that I need opinions on. Here they are:

Nico Patterson is the best friend of Alexander in the book. He has black hair, grey eyes, and is the quiet strong type. He is kind of cute, too. Nico is 18, very tall, and tan also. Do you think Nico is an OK name for him? If not, do you have any suggestions for a new name?

Then there is Seraphina Le Grand, nn Sera. She is definitely the heartbreaker type. She is Nico's cousin, so they look somewhat similar-- they both have black hair. Sera's is very long, all the way down her back, and she has bright green eyes. She is loud and brash and shamelessly flirts with all the boys. Her and Rose become good friends in the book.

Do you like these names? If not, please suggest more. Thank you!

Rosalie is beautiful, but it doesn't have that "you hear it every day" thing that you were looking for, and feels very exotic for our shy heroine. Rosalind or Rosemund both offer better-suited alternatives. Rose offers a simple nickname that suits her very well.

Nico and Seraphina are lovely names, but I don't like the last name Patterson with them. For some reason, I imagined them both as having some sort of Latin heritage (possibly Italian) considering Nico and Serafina are popular Italian names. In any case, Patterson doesn't really flow, and Legrand would better be spelled this way. Might I suggest Nico Paolini instead? For Seraphina, Leblanc flows better than Legrand. The one criticism I have of Seraphina is that, compared to your other names, it's very dramatic. It's a name that fits better into books with characters like, well, City of Bones. If this is a concern for you, I'd suggest the similar Rafaela/Raphaela. Similar elegance, but suits your character's physical description better (in my opinion; for some reason, most Seraphinas I encounter are blonde/blue-eyed, in novels and real life), personality (maybe it's the angelic meaning, but Seraphina doesn't sound at all like a flirt to me) and fits in with your other characters. Rafaela/Raphaela and Nico sound like cousins. As for her last name, Paolini works too, even Leblanc, though if you'd like a French last name I'd suggest Bellamy. It means "beautiful friend," and works well with Rafaela/Raphaela.

I'm so glad I could be of assistance and let me know what you decide with your updates.
    Last edited by bibliophile; July 23rd, 2013 at 10:48 PM.

Thank you, bibliophile! Using your advice, I'm going to use Leblanc as Sera and Nico's last name. They are cousins, so they should have the same last name. Thank you so much for your other help! If anyone sees anything they want to correct or have any more suggestions, please comment! Thank you!