Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Why does everyone hate the name Tammin?

There are not many threads on the name Tammin and the few I can find everyone says they hate it. I fell in love with it the first time I saw Tammin Sursok's name in the credits on TV. It is not made up it is a city in Australia. The other posts said they much preferred Tamsin but I had never heard of it before and it sounds like Sampson. Opinions with explanations?

I can't say I'm wild about it. I've never heard it before. It's definitely not hate-inducing. It's just not that interesting. First, it makes me think of Tammi, which feels super dated and un-stylish to me. It's one of those names that's popular now that are familiar sounding syllables put together to make a name. I find Tamsin much more interesting. It's a shorter incarnation of the (horrible, in my opinion) name Thomasina. Tamsin feels stylish, unusual, with a bit of an edge. Sort of like a sister to Eliza or Signe. If you love Tammin, then go for it. If it has meaning for you, (i.e. if you've actually been to Tammin, Australia) then double go for it.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

Maybe because it's unusual or too close to Tamerlan (Boston Marathon bomber)...just guessing here.

I've never heard of it before. I confess it looks made-up to me, or like the brand name of a drug, and I kind of think of "Tammin, rhymes with Salmon". I searched for it on multiple sites and can't find any listing of its history, meaning, etc. There are cities in Australia with curious names like Wollongong that I wouldn't use for a baby, haha. I agree though that if you really like it, then go for it and to heck with everyone else. Whatever if everyone else likes Tamsin better.

I am not a fan of any Tam names as I have a bad association to the name Tammy. I think Tammin feels modern though and just as usable as Tamsen.