Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    I was so relieved to find out it was a boy! Now they don't have to behead her.

Brits and historians, is there a reason baby couldn't be named Richard? I rather like it, so mid-century modern.

And why not Robert? Wait maybe that's Game of Thones ... Okay I'll stick w/ Richard nicknamed Rex.
    Last edited by poppy528; July 23rd, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

I am so happy Prince Cambridge is finally here, I think all world is tired of waiting I would really like to see little Edward "Eddie" or "Teddy"/"Ned", David "Dave"/"Davy", Frederick "Freddie" or James "Jay"/"Jamie". These ones would be quite fresh and modern but with great huge historic references. Phillip, Charles, Henry and Arthur are nice names but I am a bit sick of hearing them again and again everywhere. I will be fine with prince George or Richard but I am secretly hoping for little James or Edward.
    Michael and Edmund would absolutely gorgeous but not likely for sure, maybe middle names.
    William and Catherine, if you are reading, please go with prince Edward of Cambridge
    ● Olympia ● Literature Student

Constance TabithaSibyl JemimaTheodoraRamona ? ?
    ? Rupert Otis Grover ??Ignatius Robin

@poppy528 - The skeleton of Richard III was recently discovered under a parking lot in Leicester. He was the last of the Plantagenet dynasty. He has gained a bad reputation for being a ruthless power grabber even going so far as to lock up his two nephews (the rightful heirs to the throne) in the Tower. The young princes were never seen in public again. There is a more recent Richard - the present Queen's cousin the Duke of Gloucester is named Richard.If William and Catherine don't mind the negative association with this King, Richard could have an outside chance.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I've been putting a lot of thought into what the Royal Baby might be called, and here is my list (which covers pretty much everything I can think of, due to some research once the news broke):
    Personally, I really like names like Nicholas and Nathaniel for a first name, as they still have a regal elegance, and are often used in 'high society' families however they have yet to grace the British Royal family. As William and Kate are seen to be more forward thinking Royals, there might be a new breakthrough. Nicholas was a common name in the Russian royal family, Tsar Nicholas II was the last monarch before it was abolished in Russia. There is also a familial connection, my mother tells me, as the Queen is related to the Tsar. Plus, how cute does HRH Prince Nicholas of Cambridge sound?
    I also think there is a possibility of names such as Alexander, Alfred and Arthur coming in, for the same reason. There are great connections, such as Alexander the Great and King Arthur (this could, of course also be a turn-off). Will and Kate strike me personally as not going to go with what the population think (the obvious, and to be honest over-used and dull names like George and Edward..do we really need another King Edward? Is 8 not enough?)

I do think these more traditional names will fill up the middle slots, however. It is the monarchy, after all. My contenders for the probable three middle slots are: Charles, William, Albert, Philip, George and Edward. (I do also have Louis written down, but I maintain it may be too 'French monarchy', after all there were 18 of them)

There are names I also don't think will make an appearance, and I love pointing it out to everyone I have this discussion with (so far, my mum)
    1) James - James is the name of Viscount Severn, the 5 year old son of Prince Edward. I don't think it'll be used for at least this baby.
    2) Henry - Prince Harry's name is Henry. I cannot see any way that Henry will make an appearance in the name, I for one am not going to put my sisters name into my child's and we are as close as anything. Why would them being royal make a difference to this feeling? (I'm assuming it is a common one)
    3) John - I don't think John will make the name either, as it has been a 'taboo' name in the Royal Family since Prince John, who died of epilepsy in 1919 at the age of just 13. John was hidden away from the public eye, and many people didn't even know he existed, until very recently. However, back to the idea that Will and Kate are more forward-thinking, there is the possibility it could make an appearance (there is also the connection to King John..and Robin Hood)

Names that I think are good contenders, yet have connotations:
    Richard - I would personally be all for the baby being called Richard if it was born today (thus a Leo) plus there is he connection with King Richard the Lion-Heart. However, the nicknames Dick and so on make me think no. Prince Dick, anyone? I don't think the future king will be called Richard, but maybe if there is a younger brother in the future?
    Albert - I would love a baby Albert. The connection with Prince Albert, Victoria's husband is divine, plus I think Prince Albie of Cambridge would be just the cutest toddler ever. However, there is the unfortunate connotation of the male genital piercing, the Prince Albert. With all the tabloid jokes that could be made, I don't think it'll be used, which is a great shame in my opinion. Why couldn't they called the piercing the Prince Hashtag or something?

All that being said, my ultimate name for this little Prince would have to be either Nicholas (one of my favourite names, and as I'm 17 and not planning to have a baby for at least another decade, the connection hopefully won't be strong), Nathaniel, Theodore (another two of my name loves) or Albert (for the Albie factor!)
    Last edited by caroselle; July 23rd, 2013 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    @poppy528 - The skeleton of Richard III was recently discovered under a parking lot in Leicester. He was the last of the Plantagenet dynasty. He has gained a bad reputation for being a ruthless power grabber even going so far as to lock up his two nephews (the rightful heirs to the throne) in the Tower. The young princes were never seen in public again.
    Yes I remember that on the news now! Quite horrible really, certainly not a history I'd want tied to my little heir. Thank you, Mischa!!
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz