Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hazel: Why do you love it?

I'd really like to try to understand the appeal of this name. My two main associations with it (ancient neighbor lady, seeing it weirdly/incorrectly spelled by semi-literate new mother) have done damage I'd like to undo. I was hoping some of you who really like Hazel (based on forum activity, i'm guessing a wide swathe of Berries) might be willing to talk about what you find attractive about it.

If you've the time (and predilection!) here are some other names that seem pretty well-loved on the boards with which I have issues I'd like to try to get over:

Genevieve
    Geneva
    Cecilia
    Celia
    Delia
    Aurelia
    Silvia
    Gemma
    Ruby
    Corinna
    Felicity
    Margo/Margaux
    Margaret
    Charlotte
    Elena
    Finley

It's not that I expect to love every name--but I would like to try to understand
    human children:
    holden timothy | huckleberry jude
    non-human children:
    penelope | puck | sofia

This isn't helpful at all, but I'm commenting to say I think you and I have similar name-tastes. Because I'm not fond of most of those names, either, and I really like all of your sig names.

Felicity and Elena are the ones I'm okay with. I don't like them enough to put them on a list for a future daughter, but I appreciate them (especially the Spanish pronunciation of Elena, as it's a family name in that respect).

Felicity is a happy name, but not overtly so (such as Joy or um, Happy). I think it has a very elegant sound without any harsh consonants.

Can't help you with the others, as I feel a range of neutral to repulsion with some of those sounds.
    I love earthy and bohemian names.

Luna . Samara . Juniper . Magnolia
    Cedar . Alasdair . Oak . Arlo

Thanks for the response!--and I agree about the Spanish pronunciation of Elena, which is actually my first experience with that spelling. Maybe that's why I don't like the English pronunciation?
    Last edited by tawnysaurus; July 22nd, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
    human children:
    holden timothy | huckleberry jude
    non-human children:
    penelope | puck | sofia

I like Hazel because as a child one of my favourite camp leaders was called Hazel. She was in her late teens/early twenties, had dreadlocks and a nose ring, and I thought she was the coolest being on two legs! I haven't met any other Hazel's, so I don't have the 'old lady' association that I hear from some berries. Also I just like the sound of it. Soft and pretty, but not frilly.

As for some of your other names;

Aurelia - I'm a sucker for the film Love Actually...

Silvia - Like Hazel, I really like the sound it makes. It trips of the tongue and is very pleasing to my ear. Also Sylvia Pankhurst was a strong female role model, and without her efforts in the suffragette movement I might not be allowed to vote today.

Margaret - This is my wonderful grandmother's name and my mother's middle name, so I'm completely biased! Having said that I don't really like most of the variations of this name (e.g. Peg, Peggy, Daisy), except for Megan, which is one of my faves. I also don't think I would use this as a first name for a child, as to me it still too 'old ladyish'. If I had to guess why people without grandmothers called Margaret liked the name, I would guess its regal connotations (Queen Elizabeth II's sister was called Margaret) and the broad nickname potential.

Charlotte - To me this name is elegant and understated. It's a classic, so it's not going to date badly. I also think the nickname Lottie is really cute.

Elena - I love Helen/Helena, so Elena isn't much of a stretch. For me this name invokes the image of a strong, graceful, quiet lady who can be very determined when she sets her mind to it. Again it's quite a classic name, so I think of it as timeless.

I agree with you about Cecilia (oddly I like Cecile. Maybe it's the extra -a that pushes the name into 'too much' category for me), Geneva, Delia (although I like Dahlia), Gemma, Felicity and Finley though.
    Last edited by novaberry; July 22nd, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
    Girl Names: Alice, Anna, Astrid, Beatrice, Clara, Emily, Evelyn, Hannah, Hermione, Lorna, Phoebe, Sophie, Sylvia
    Boy Names: Andrew, Arthur, Elliot, Griffin, Hamish, Henry, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Thomas, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Damaris, Digory, Emrys, Ganymede, Hester, Jessamine, Phineas, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx

Hazel is number one on our list for a girl if we were to have one. I never knew one and I like the old vintage feel it gives off. I do not have bad associations with it. So that is why it works for us. I can picture it on a baby, child and adult. Even though it means Hazelnut tree I just love the different images I get in my mind. And I can picture calling a daughter that day in and day out plus there is no nickname potential which I love. I hope I get the chance to use it. The other names aren't my style other than Genevieve which is a middle name for one our combos. I just love the elegance of it and French/European feel. Sweet yet exotic.
    TTC Baby #1 Starts Next Month!