Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Gabriel is all Christmas to me. Gabriel was an angel in the Nativity Story. I picture a tow headed little boy with rosy cheeks. He's polite, kind, and angelic.

Gabriel is a light golden yellow to me, like sunshine streaming through the clouds on a still winter day. He has light eyes, highlighted curls and the rosiest of cheeks. A dimple on each side and a permanent smile no matter what the situation. Tank tops and bare feet in the summer, running carefree though a field of tall grass and splashing into a calm stream. Winter shows him with a hat that just won't stay on, riding down a small hill on his sled, laughter like a clear silver bell. A navy coat and scarf in the fall, rain boots perfect for jumping in puddles and crunching leaves. Walking to school with a backpack full of books, he's a good student and loves to learn. Great with animals and interested in anything to do with science and nature. Somewhat shy and sensitive, but very sociable and polite, he runs with a small group of the same friends year after year. Thoughtful but rarely serious, he never let's anything get to him for too long. A somewhat mischievous but well meaning angel of a boy. If you don't like Gabe as a nn there is also Gale, Gable, or Abe. Apologies, but this is my absolute favorite name, so part of me doesn't let me think past the adorable child that I might have someday and I never actually picture him grown up. =]
    Dominic James~ (5)

Gabriel : Jude : Ramsay : Roland

I had a friend who was really into "Angel Cards" so Gabriel always reminds me of the archangel Gabriel. Not really my thing (the cards)-- a little esoteric for me. But it's always been a "spiritual" name to me. Maybe because of its religious associations. I've known a few kids named Gabriel-- sweet, sensitive boys from religious families. And I know one man named Gabriel who goes by Gabe.

Quote Originally Posted by amydomsmom View Post
    Gabriel is a light golden yellow to me, like sunshine streaming through the clouds on a still winter day. He has light eyes, highlighted curls and the rosiest of cheeks. A dimple on each side and a permanent smile no matter what the situation. Tank tops and bare feet in the summer, running carefree though a field of tall grass and splashing into a calm stream. Winter shows him with a hat that just won't stay on, riding down a small hill on his sled, laughter like a clear silver bell. A navy coat and scarf in the fall, rain boots perfect for jumping in puddles and crunching leaves. Walking to school with a backpack full of books, he's a good student and loves to learn. Great with animals and interested in anything to do with science and nature. Somewhat shy and sensitive, but very sociable and polite, he runs with a small group of the same friends year after year. Thoughtful but rarely serious, he never let's anything get to him for too long. A somewhat mischievous but well meaning angel of a boy. If you don't like Gabe as a nn there is also Gale, Gable, or Abe. Apologies, but this is my absolute favorite name, so part of me doesn't let me think past the adorable child that I might have someday and I never actually picture him grown up. =]
    This, soft golden yellow, sweet, and ornery as the day is long
    ~ Elisabeth Odelia "Elsie" ~ Gideon Boone ~
    ~ Adelheid Ruby "Addie Rue" ~ Theodore Solomon "Teddy"~
    ~ Casilda Josephine "Cassie Jo" ~ Zaccheaus Westley "Zeke" ~

I like Gabriel! I don't love it, but I do like it. I definitely like Samuel and Daniel more.

I think of several things, actually.

I think of the angel Gabriel, foremost. I think a lot of people underestimate how powerful and striking and terrifying angels are. These are warriors of the Almighty God, powerful and ethereal, and Gabriel is the most powerful and important of them all. Whenever he visited earth to give a human a message from God, he always prefaced it with "Do not be afraid." I love the imagery of angels, the idea of warriors for the almighty, transcendent, immovable, all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful God with a loving, compassionate heart. They flash with light and travel through time as easily as space--there's something so powerful and awe-inspiring about them. And Gabriel is the very closest one to God Himself.

I also think of a character I had created for one of my own stories. He didn't stay a Gabriel, but originally, that's what I had him named, and the imagery still sticks. He was in a rock band, the lead guitarist, but he's super-shy and super-sensitive. He has a heart of gold.

I also think of this trilogy I read, about a duke whose name was Gabriel. He was easily distracted and very intense, always finding something new to throw all his passion into, whether it be history or geography or geology or music or whatever. But he was diagnosed with a rare... I'm not sure what it was, exactly, but it caused him to be deaf, and the deafness came and went, and somehow it was related to the atmosphere and the altitude and all of that. But becoming deaf rocked him to his core, and it took him from being confident and intense and, really, a force of nature, to this doubting, withdrawn, self-doubting man. He eventually balanced out to a little of both, but he always carried a lot of self-doubt, and almost self-loathing, about who he was. He really didn't understand why people still liked him. But he's still this powerful, awe-inspiring, very likeable guy.

So when I think of Gabriel, I think of a mixture of the three--a little bit sensitive and shy, likeable, very powerful, with God at the focus of everything.

I have the opposite problem with Gabriel--I can see Gabriel as a man, but I find it a lot harder to picture a little boy with the name.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter