Results 1 to 5 of 23
July 22nd, 2013 02:36 AM #1
Not sure what to do about a new job...
So I've just been offered a new job. It's a contract position as a Teacher Librarian for six months. I'm a qualified teacher and have been studying a Master of Information Studies for the first six months of this year to become a librarian. I have six more months of study to go. My ultimate goal for my career (in the immediate future) is to work as a librarian - preferably outside of a school setting. While studying, I was working as a relief teacher in a nice school. The main problem with this new job is its location. The school is almost 1.5 hours from my house. That's a three hour round trip every day along a semi-dangeous road. This leaves me very little time for anything else, including everyday tasks such as grocery shopping and housework. Also, this means I'll have to give up studying for at least six months. I won't be employable as a librarian until I finish my study. If I don't take the job, I can finish my studies this year. If I do take the job, my studies have to be put on hold. My problem is: I don't know what to do! What do you think? What would you do if you were me? My gut feeling is leaning towards continuing my study, but I'm feeling terribly guilty about the idea of turning down a perfectly good job. As a relief teacher, I earn an okay wage, but the work isn't consistent. I average two days per week. In the new job, I'd work five days per week and earn a lot more. However, my husband and I are trying to conceive our first baby. If it happens soon, I'll never finish my studies! I feel like this next six months is golden time for me to get things done before a baby comes along. I've summarised my options below:
Option 1: Take the new job. Give up study for the next six months at least.
Pros: Experience of a library position. More money.
Cons: Distance to travel. Won't finish study. Less time with husband. Less time for keeping house.
Opportunities for next year: Teaching job (don't want to do). Relief teaching.
Option 2: Turn down the new job. Continue studying and working as a relief teacher.
Pros: Finish my degree. More free time. More time with husband. More time for keeping house.
Cons: Less money.
Opportunities for next year: Library position in Adelaide.
Note: Obviously, I'm going to discuss this with my husband and we'll decide together. I just think it'll be interesting to get some other perspectives on my situation. Thanks
Last edited by sarahmezz; July 22nd, 2013 at 02:43 AM.TTC #1
Audrey - Blythe - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah
Arthur - Barnaby - Frederick - Henry - Hugo - Rupert - Theodore - Walter
July 22nd, 2013 04:19 AM #3
I would choose option 2. You would be able to finish your studies, which would lead you towards your goal as a librarian. Plus, you would have more time with your husband, and you would have more time for growing your family
July 22nd, 2013 05:02 AM #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- May 2012
Option 2 would be my choice, better you suffer now and get your degree than wait, make better pay but have to go on mat leave. Going back to school with a little one will be hell on earth (quoted directly from my mother who went back to school with 3 kids at home).Coraline "Corey", Georgiana "Georgie", Cecilia "Cici", Guinevere "Gwen", Aili
Darcy, Vaughn, Leif, Heath, Huxley, Kenneth, Cormac
July 22nd, 2013 05:09 AM #7Junior Member
- Join Date
- Dec 2012
Ditto on option 2. You only have 6 months to go and the degree will serve you better in the long run than a job that will probably make you stressed. Better to just stick to the plan, especially if a baby might be on the way.Current favourites
Isabel, Adeline, Rosemary, Violet, Sybil
Viggo, Miles, Spencer, Clark, Havard
July 22nd, 2013 05:50 AM #9Senior Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2012
I would lean towards option 2 as well. Finish your studies and aim for a full time librarian job later on closer to home.
Couple of things.....in the wonderful event you fall pregnant in the next month or so, that travel will be a shocker. I travelled similar when I fell pregnant with my first and it was not great. Exhaustion combined with travel in the first couple of months was not nice. Plus,like me, you will be doing it full time. Nah. If you have a choice, and you don't need to go full time for the finance, I would relax, spend time at home, finish your studies and spend lots of time with your husband.....practising for that baby!Mummy to the gorgeous Alice Heather and the delicious Harry George
Bubba #3 due March 2014! Finalising short list of favourite names!