Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Names shouldn't matter when it comes to employment. Most people didn't even choose their own name, their parents did. They can't help what their parents chose to name them, unless they want to legally change it, or go by a nickname. But some people like their different names. Some people change their names because they don't like how common/popular the name is. It doesn't matter if your name is the normal and common Anne, the religious Benjamin, or the unusual Stormy, it shouldn't affect your education, job, or how much you get paid. The only thing that should really affect you getting hired is a criminal record, or you're a lazy worker/ not enough education. Names, looks, etc shouldn't matter. We now live in a world where people color their hair purple, pierce body parts like tongues and eyebrows, and name kids after words.. it's becoming the new 'normal'.
    Shealah
    Teenberry, name loving girl.
    xo

Favorites:
    Lucy, Madeline, Caroline, Kylie, Bryn, Audrey/Aubrey, & Sierra
    Eli, Caden, Camden, Riley and Caleb

Guilty Pleasures:
    Clementine & Tiara

Quote Originally Posted by shealahtoba View Post
    Names shouldn't matter when it comes to employment. Most people didn't even choose their own name, their parents did. They can't help what their parents chose to name them, unless they want to legally change it, or go by a nickname. But some people like their different names. Some people change their names because they don't like how common/popular the name is. It doesn't matter if your name is the normal and common Anne, the religious Benjamin, or the unusual Stormy, it shouldn't affect your education, job, or how much you get paid. The only thing that should really affect you getting hired is a criminal record, or you're a lazy worker/ not enough education. Names, looks, etc shouldn't matter. We now live in a world where people color their hair purple, pierce body parts like tongues and eyebrows, and name kids after words.. it's becoming the new 'normal'.
    Purple hair and pierced tongues and eyebrows will never be accepted in the white collar world. It's still not "normal" for the majority of people, either.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I use to work in recruitment, and would often see resumes from people with 'unusual' (read not English) names who also added an Anglicised name that they went by at work. It always made me a little bit sad that the candidate felt they needed to do that, but my (awful) manager actually recommended people do this because, in her own words 'The people hiring will be too embarrassed to call them if they can't pronounce their name.' So sadly some people do judge applicants based on their names.

If I had the chance though I'd guess or make up a pronounciation when she asked what a name was. If I said it with enough confidence, & gave her a certain 'I can't believe you even had to ask that' look, she'd worry about appearing less knowledgable than me, say "oh, yes of course", and call them!
    Girl Names: Alice, Anna, Astrid, Beatrice, Clara, Emily, Evelyn, Hannah, Hermione, Lorna, Phoebe, Sophie, Sylvia
    Boy Names: Andrew, Arthur, Elliot, Griffin, Hamish, Henry, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Thomas, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Damaris, Digory, Emrys, Ganymede, Hester, Jessamine, Phineas, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx

Quote Originally Posted by jenagain View Post
    I think a lot of names have more of a class connotation than anything, and we're not nearly as mobile a society as we like to think. If I saw Crystyna's application, I wouldn't necessarily associate that with black or white, but I would not associate it with an MBA either. On the other hand, Crystyna who got her GED probably isn't applying for the same job as Catherine with the MBA.
    I agree with this.