Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

'

Its funny you mention this. We are Irish too but live in the states. my oldest daughter is M'kaela. No one here uses the initials M'kC which would be the way your describing it. We just use MC for initials. I prefer it that way too. I like her ' but it shouldn't make the initials have a click too. I say if your going to use one of those letters maybe try to stick with the K. Just to break it up a bit if the O'C gets used. but maybe try to only use the O if thats what you like when writing things out for others it will catch on to people.

Do you add the middle name initial in their with the two last name initials? In the US we just use the first letter, with or without an apostrophe. But if you usually use the middle initial, I don't think CROC or KFOC would be bad.
    Caity
    Mom of Violet Isabelle, George Quincy, & Mae Elizabeth
    In the process of adopting #4 from Haiti.
    Current Favorites:
    . Ruby Madeleine . Felicity Catherine . Beatrice Claire . Robin Marie .
    . Harvey Leopold . Albert Darcy . Ralph Montgomery . Edgar Willoughby .

Quote Originally Posted by caitypete View Post
    Do you add the middle name initial in their with the two last name initials? In the US we just use the first letter, with or without an apostrophe. But if you usually use the middle initial, I don't think CROC or KFOC would be bad.
    thanks for all the replies!

whether or not people include the middle name when they're writing out the initial would definitely be a matter of personal preference, i think. as for using two letters for the last name initial, that would definitely be the case in Ireland. in fact, using the surname O'Connor as an example, i think if people had to choose just ONE letter they'd choose C, as the O doesn't really 'mean' much. but i'm still pretty confident everybody (or nearly everybody) in Ireland with an O' surname uses both capital letters in their initials.

thank you guys for replying, i have a feeling i'm overthinking this, huh?
    Last edited by scraggleboots; July 21st, 2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: clarity

Ha, I'm Irish-American with an O' name and it's true that no one uses the letter after the apostrophe here. If they did, my mother's initials would be SLOB (only slightly worse than SLO.)

But since y'all use both letters, I'll just second what everyone else is saying and agree that using a middle initial should solve the problem.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Odette Cosima Fionnuala Iphigenia Coraline
    Emmett Kieran August Malcolm Zephyr