Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Teachers- A Question About Nicknames

I've asked every teacher I know and most say using a nickname/ going by a middle name is no big deal, while others advise to only give your child the name s/he is going to be called. What's your opinion?
    Mom to 2 girls ♥ Bayard McConnell "Bay" & Marguerite Davis "Maple"

I think it is no big deal as long as it is made clear up front which name the child will go by. By "up front" I mean before the first day of school so that the teacher doesn't have to re-make name tags, charts with names, etc.

Funny, though, as a teacher I was adamant to name both of my kids the name that they would be called (no nicknames).

I've been a teacher for 12 years and I think it's pretty common practice to respect what the child desires to be called. So if you call your child by his/her middle name, and so does the child, that's what I'll use. I've never heard of much controversy with nicknames/middle names as name used.

I've been a teacher for 10 years and I have had many students go by a nickname or a middle name. I always ask my students what they like to be called on the first day of school. I have never come across any issues with this. I have had many students go by a middle name, I don't think anything of it.

I say it is not a problem.
    My Teddy Bear (aka my puppy): Rufus (4-24-13)
    Maeve-Keira-Gwen-Eve-Adeline-Claire-Arianne-Lila-Elsa-Mica/Micah-Emmeline-Anna-Lena-Cassia-Faye-Liana-Piper-Violet-Nina-Carys

Rhys-Owen-Flynn-Lucas-Lorcan-Caleb-Ronan-Archer-Graham-Alexander-Henry-Jack-Ian-Seth-Miles-Cian-Sawyer-Emmett

GP: Perseus-Hamish-Mason-Shep-Cassian-Asa-Lavender-Elula-Winter-Mireille-Ophelie-Azalea/Azelie

I teach middle school and I agree with the pp that it isn't a big deal. I can see that at the elementary level a lot goes into writing name tags, etc so that could make more work for the teacher. I also have the urge to give my child the name they will be called as well, so there is no confusion, however different that name might be!
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana (8/6/10) and Saela Eliza (6/24/14)

Aerie - Simone - Romy - Xanthe - Wylie
    Miles - Zefram - Eli - Ephram - Gannon