Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Pronouncing Marilla the English way, I suppose, a la Anne of Green Gables...

The Holly thing worries me! The not fitting doesn't, believe it or not - Hollis (and Ellis) both feel vintage boy to me, like Eliza, Phoebe, and Gwendolen feel vintage girl. Maybe I'm way off?!
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Favorites - Eliza, Phoebe, Juliet, Archer, Ronan, Jude

I really like Phoebe Mariel. And I'm going to suggest Phoebe Marina as a way to honor a Marie and Marion.

And I think Hollis is very usable for a boy.

I really like both Phoebe Marilla and Phoebe Mariel--I guess Marilla wins by a tiny hair, though.
    Gwen
    (film student, name nerd, regular nerd, bad influence)

Current favorites:
    Ismay Cleo Sybella Ailsa Iphigenia
    Prosper Sirius August Malcolm Zephyr

I think Hollis feels more old fashion then your girls names. While Eliza, Phoebe and Gwendolen are vintage names but they've made at least somewhat of a comeback ranking 225, 303 and alternate spelling Gwendolyn is ranked 514. While Hollis hasn't been on the top 1000 charts since the 1970s plus it's got a unisex vibe. I would think Hollis would have siblings named Blanche, Ernestine or for a brother Merrill.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

That's a very interesting point you bring up! Huh. I still like Hollis, but I'm not tied to it. I feel fairly tied to Archer. I do think it fits with Eliza, Gwendolen, and Phoebe - it's got a classic 1900s vibe to me, but it's also a little more modern, and it just so happens to be literary.

What else would you suggest in that vein?! Does Jude work? Holden? More for me to consider would be amazing!

I think the jury's out on Marilla versus Mariel! Some seem to really dislike Marilla, but I think it's cool. Then again, Mariel might be prettier... :-/
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Favorites - Eliza, Phoebe, Juliet, Archer, Ronan, Jude