Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I was unaware of the 'replace word' function! That's so helpful- thank you so much! It will be a lifesaver, I'm sure! Thank you so much for all of your help, everyone! I really appreciate it. Short, punchy names are what I'm leaning towards, or names with a defined, hard syllable, like Natalie- the T stands out. I really like names that aren't particularly masculine are feminine, but are still short. That's why I selected Jaz- it's short and sweet, not exactly boy or girl. This is why I couldn't use something like Jen or Matt- they're preconceived as gender-specific. If I were to use a girl's name, I wouldn't want it to be particularly girly. I like the name Johanna- it doesn't suit the character, but as an example, it's delightfully to the point without too many frills. Just as an example, and I so appreciate your insight, I don't think I could use Lydia on this character because it's so beautiful. I have to say though, as the only exception so far to the non-genderbinding rule, the name Una is starting to grow on me. I don't know if I'll ever actually use it, but I like it, and it has the short, punchy feel I'm looking for.
    Thanks again! I really appreciate all your help!

Short and punchy...

Well, I know a girl who goes by Madd sometimes. Her full name is Madelyne, she goes by Maddie, but we call her Madd sometimes. Mattie could work as well.

Jill
    June
    Jade
    Onyx
    Ash
    Cora
    Zel (short for Giselle or something)

Find big words in the dictionary and break them into pieces; it helps bring you out of the 'name' box, and more into the realm of short and sweet.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

The dictionary trick is really cool- I'll have to use that next time! I really like June; I actually ended up using Junia for another short story I wrote! Same with Cora. Ash was on the list as a replacement name- it made it to the finals. In the end, with some insight from a friend, I ended up going with the name 'Wren'. What do you think? Do you think it works with the other names I've selected for the other characters in the story?

I think Wren works very well; Short, strong, but still soft.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.