Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Kate but not Catherine

Hi all,
    While mulling over names for dd#2, I've realized I really like the name Kate. I don't like the name Catherine though. It's not that Catherine isn't a pretty name, but I have bad associations with that name. Is it acceptable to name a baby Kate but not give her a formal version? Thanks!

I'd personally probably investigate assorted international variants: Caitlin, Katia, Kathleen, Katerina, Katja, Catalina, Katrina... etc. there's a thousand. But that's because I think some of the full names have more flexibility and I'm not really a nickname-as-full-name person.

I do like Kate. My only concern with it, by itself, is that while Catherine/Katharine is always around, the nicknames go in and out. I've known full-name-Kates, and full-name-Cathy. Cathy/Kathy was the fashionable nickname when it was given to the one I've met, but it seems kinda mom-name-ish now, doesn't it? Kate/Katy/Katie is in right now but I wonder if a Kate would, in twenty or so years, regret not being able to go by some other form.

Yeah it's fine! I also like just Kate and I usually dislike nickname names. I think Kate's long history of use as a single name makes it strong enough to stand on its own, just like Jack or Molly. It's short and powerful and works wonderfully on a girl of any age. Lovely choice

Just want to add Kateri.

I do love Catherine, but Kate is fine on its own though.
    Cynthia/Luna
    twenty-something name nerd. infj

Seraphina Juliette Estelle. Evangeline Laetitia Odette. Catalina Ariadne Helen. Valentina Bellatrix Yvaine
    Violetta Catherine Lenore. Isabelle Faustina Clare. Rosalind Anna Belphoebe
    Clementine Audrey Rowena. Helena Edelweiss. Talitha Caroline. Vanessa Rose Aphrodite

Peregrine Lysander James. Gavriel Alexander Callum. James Luca Auberon. Caspian Frederic Levi
    Perseus Arthur Flynn. Cassius Jason Ambrose. Damien Alexei Orion

I think Kate is fine on it's own, and still has the option of Katie, especially as a child. Catherine is lovely, but there are plenty of people just named Kate.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Veronica ~ Sarah ~ Esther
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Top combos: Miriam Estelle / Paul Augustin

(Still) trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova