Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tattoos while pregnant/breastfeeding?

Ever since the post about laser tattoo removal, I have been thinking a lot (I guess that is what I get since I am not working right now). One of the things I have been wondering about is how safe is it to get a tattoo while either pregnant or breastfeeding?

I want another tattoo, and under no circumstance will get it while I am pregnant, but I plan to nurse for quite awhile and was wondering if I needed to wait until I was finished.

I seem to get mixed answers when I search it. I plan to ask my doctor about it when I go on August 6th, but was just wanting some opinions while I wait.
    Step-Mother to three lovely children - Josiah Lewis (14), Stella Evangeline (8), and Emma Catherine (4)

Expecting Baby Chicken on February 3, 2014
    It's a boy!
    Rhys Andrew, Milo Andrew, Conrad Henry, or August Henry/August Charles

You have the same risk of contracting hepitis, HIV, etc as usual, and those can be passed while breastfeeding. If you feel the need to avoid it while pregnant, it would also make sense to avoid while breastfeeding. But hopefully you are getting it in sanitary conditions, so the risk of contracting a virus is low.

Quote Originally Posted by iamamiam View Post
    You have the same risk of contracting hepitis, HIV, etc as usual, and those can be passed while breastfeeding. If you feel the need to avoid it while pregnant, it would also make sense to avoid while breastfeeding. But hopefully you are getting it in sanitary conditions, so the risk of contracting a virus is low.
    This. Its really just not worth the risk imo. No reputable tattoo artist would tattoo a pregnant woman anyway.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

Tattoos while pregnant is a no no. The risk of infection a tattoo is an open wound, allergy to the ink, and of course blood born illnesses. Given the right situation I think it can be ok while breastfeeding. Its like drinking while nursing, if done safely and in moderation its probably ok.

Tattoos while pregnant are a definite no no in my opinion (and most doctors and tattoo artists opinions).

I plan on getting a tattoo while breastfeeding, but I'm waiting until a few months after giving birth to be sure my immune system is back to pretty much normal...I'm thinking after 3 months or so I'll have it done
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13