Names Searched Right Now:
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Results 71 to 75 of 78
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkballerina View Post
    I don't see how. By your logic, one should not need a gift to "push out a baby" (even though that isn't what a push present is), so why should a shower be any different? Shouldn't the parents be able to cover the costs of funding a newborn themselves?

    I don't know any woman who demanded a present. I certainly didn't. It was a token of love given to me by my husband to commemorate a new beginning for us. To suggest that a present was required for a woman to birth her children is not only illogical (no one can stop the birthing process, no matter how much they want to), it isn't very nice either.
    Not at all. A push present isn't a necessity to make having your first child easier. Having a baby shower simply lets friends and family give baby gifts to the new parents. I agree with the others in that the baby is enough of a push present.

  2. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    745
    This is a British magazine, it's called Take A Break.

    image.jpg
    Attached Images
    Heidi Amelia| Joel Dashiel| Lydia Briar| Elijah Peter| Lucy Colette| Carson Dale| Melissa Jasmine| Thomas Flynn| Zoe Belle| Jamie Christopher| Lilo Claire.

  3. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by shnnn View Post
    A push present isn't a necessity to make having your first child easier.
    Neither are baby showers. We don't have them in the UK and, as far as I know, many women here have babies just fine.

    I hate the term 'push present'. There's nothing wrong with a father giving the mother of his child a gift if that's what he wants to do.

    Demanding any gift is crass, and I don't know anyone who would think otherwise. But honestly, anyone who begrudges a new mother a token of affection freely given by her partner should take a good long look at their motives. Nobody has a right to tell a couple they are wrong for giving presents on occasions that mean something to the couple (anniversary of first date, wedding anniversary, etc.). Why does having a baby suddenly make it different?
    Last edited by novaberry; August 4th, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
    My Top 10 Girls Names: Astrid, Elara, Evelyn, Hannah, Hester, Lorna, Megan, Ophelia, Sylvia, Tabitha
    My Top 10 Boys Names: Alistair, Andrew, Graeme, Hamish, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Aurelius, Damaris, Digory, Hermione, Isis, Phineas, Loki, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx, Orion

  4. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by novaberry View Post
    Neither are baby showers. We don't have them in the UK and, as far as I know, many women here have babies just fine.

    I hate the term 'push present'. There's nothing wrong with a father giving the mother of his child a gift if that's what he wants to do.

    Demanding any gift is crass, and I don't know anyone who would think otherwise. But honestly, anyone who begrudges a new mother a token of affection freely given by her partner should take a good long look at their motives. Nobody has a right to tell a couple they are wrong for giving presents on occasions that mean something to the couple (anniversary of first date, wedding anniversary, etc.). Why does having a baby suddenly make it different?
    Amen to that! I'm glad we don't have showers here, I don't like the sound of throwing a party just to receive gifts at all.


    Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

    Lucy, Ivy, Maya, Rosabel, Victoria, Alice, Molly, Juliet, Annabel, Sofia.
    Charlie, Arthur, William, Isaac, Noah, Finn, Vincent, Alexander, Zachary, Oscar.





  5. #79
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkballerina View Post
    I'm glad we don't have showers here, I don't like the sound of throwing a party just to receive gifts at all.
    I don't really get them either, but in fairness I think it's considered poor form to throw your own baby shower for exactly that reason. It comes across as greedy. From what I understand, it's supposed to be a friend or family member that organises it for you, and it's supposed to be for the first child only. Not sure what happens in practice though, especially if mum-to-be doesn't have any close friends or relatives nearby.

    Still, to each their own. If baby showers are the norm in other areas, great! It's ultimately a caring act, so, even if I don't understand it, I would never sneer at anyone that had one. I just don't think they're a necessity, as a pp seemed to be implying.
    My Top 10 Girls Names: Astrid, Elara, Evelyn, Hannah, Hester, Lorna, Megan, Ophelia, Sylvia, Tabitha
    My Top 10 Boys Names: Alistair, Andrew, Graeme, Hamish, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Aurelius, Damaris, Digory, Hermione, Isis, Phineas, Loki, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx, Orion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •