Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Meh. It's not really for me, but I've never been into jewelry or bags or anything like it. Not because I think it's ridiculous to spend money on those things or something, but just because I have no interest in them. My husband will probably end up paying for a commemorative woven wrap for baby's first ride, but only because he's the one bringing in the money. However, I'm the one who collects wraps, so it's kind of like a gift, I suppose?

I think it's a little tacky to demand a "gift" for giving birth, which I've only heard of. Making a demand pretty much turns a push present into a push payment. Obviously, we have no idea whether OP's friend was demanding a gift or if her husband asked her to give him some ideas.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

I've never heard of a "push present" and I think it's ridiculous. She needs a Tiffany's ring to birth THEIR baby?! What?!?! Shouldn't a baby be enough of a present?

Quote Originally Posted by shnnn View Post
    I've never heard of a "push present" and I think it's ridiculous. She needs a Tiffany's ring to birth THEIR baby?! What?!?! Shouldn't a baby be enough of a present?
    You are completely misunderstanding the concept. I got a push present, I didn't hold my legs together and refuse to give birth until my husband produced an expensive gift. Any gift I got was a token of love to commemorate a new exciting, chapter in our lives.

By your logic, why have a baby shower, shouldn't a baby be enough of a present? Why accept gifts when baby arrives, shouldn't a baby be enough of a present?

This is just silly. Are those against push presents also against birthday/wedding/shower presents too?

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

I don't like the idea of baby showers, but there not a big thing in the UK, but I like the ladies whose partners have went and chose them a gift to show their love and happiness of the birth of their child. I think demanding something is a bit wrong but in some social circles it must be the norm. I'd be chuffed to bits if my husband spend time choosing me a gift as a surprise as a token of love and starting a new chapter in our life.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkballerina View Post
    You are completely misunderstanding the concept. I got a push present, I didn't hold my legs together and refuse to give birth until my husband produced an expensive gift. Any gift I got was a token of love to commemorate a new exciting, chapter in our lives.

By your logic, why have a baby shower, shouldn't a baby be enough of a present? Why accept gifts when baby arrives, shouldn't a baby be enough of a present?

This is just silly. Are those against push presents also against birthday/wedding/shower presents too?
    The purpose of a baby shower is help first time parents get stuff that they will need for the new baby like car seats, diapers, bouncy seat, baby monitor, etc. That's a lot different than a piece of jewelry or some other frivolous gift.

I just find something kind of icky about the whole concept. The spirit of the push present seems to be, "I wrecked my body and you did nothing, so give me jewelry to make it even." Your gift symbolizing the new chapter in your life doesn't bother me, and I wouldn't necessarily call that a "push present."