Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Push Present ????

A very dear friend of mine is preggers and while I was over visiting the other night she gleefully pulled out a Tiffany's catalogue and started pointing out her top 5 choices of (highly overpriced) jewelry for the push present she is demanding from her hubby. I sat there sipping my tea, listening and all the while I was thinking to my self "Is this what we've really come to? Women are now expecting compensation for giving birth?" The whole notion that a woman would expect a Tiffany's ring/pendant for giving birth is so very foreign to me. Aren't presents supposed to be saved for the baby shower and Mother's Day? Has anyone else encountered the push present?
    Coraline "Corey", Georgiana "Georgie", Cecilia "Cici", Guinevere "Gwen", Rosamond "Rozz"

Everett "Rhett", Quentin "Quinn", Cornelius "Coren", Cormac "Mac", Heath

I read an article about this years ago and filed it in the "weird habits of the very wealthy" category; however, shortly after that I was at a bridal shower and a woman with a newborn was going on about wanting a specific watch as her "baby present". That's the only time I've encountered a push present. I kind of think having brought a child into the world is worth more than a piece of jewellery....

PS, nercomi, I just noticed you have fabulous names in your signature!
    Last edited by maggiefromcanada; July 19th, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Very strange, but again, I think bridal showers are weird. When/if I give birth, I would hope to have help around the house, help with the baby, and a fridge stocked with easy meals for when I get home. I will pass on the diamonds.

I think a push present can be a nice gesture, like a pendant with your baby's birthstone or something, but I certainly wouldn't demand one, spell out exactly what I wanted, or think I was owed it.

I don't understand it either. Do these women not want the babies they are giving birth to? I would think that was enough? *I* would feel like that would be enough for me. The only way I can justify a push present is if the woman got pregnant accidentally and didn't want it. Then the husband/boyfriend can get them a "sorry I knocked you up and am forcing you to keep it" gift!
    Shannon, recently married my BFF and TTC our first <3