Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Can Ireland be used as a name?

Growing up I knew a little red-headed girl named Ireland (her twin was Vanessa). I adore this name, but don't know if it's okay on a real baby?

Kourtney Kardashian's little girl is Penelope Scotland, and Holland is the name of a couple actresses, and I've met plenty of Brooklyns, Georgias, Lydias, Brittons, etc. But is Ireland too much?

TIA xx

Georgia is a proper name, as in it has a meaning outside of just being a place.

Place names used as given names feels rather tacky and trashy to me. If you like the place, I'd suggest using a name inspired by the location, so a Scottish name if you love Scotland or an Irish name if you love Ireland. If you like the name because it honors your heritage, I think it's best used as a middle name, if it really must be used.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

You're in Dublin. So yes, I'd say it was too much.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

My husband is Irish descent. We've thought about using Clare. But not Ireland directly. There are a lot of beautiful Irish names I like more than Ireland itself. Though I don't hate Erin - though I don't think its very authentic as a given name, historically, in Ireland.

Ireland is a country and not a name. It isn't a particularly pleasant sound. I can understand people wanting to honour their heritage, but there are a plethora of accessible Irish names out there (think Maeve, Niamh, Declan, Liam) that can be used without using the name of the country.

I frankly think if a little Ireland ever visited the country she was named for she'd be laughed at. For the most part, place names (with the exception of perhaps Georgia) are unheard of over there.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.