Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Replacing India

Ianthe
    Eleni
    Indianna - no for this? Indianna makes me think about Jones not the country. So I don't think it's offensive.
    Leilani
    Ottillie
    Nadia/Nadya
    Primrose
    Cassiane
    Dianne
    Maia
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair | Lucias
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Stellan | Amias

To me, your list reads, exotic, romantic, rythmic, unique, and bold consonant sounds like V and Z. What do you think of:

Evadne
    Anais
    Etheline
    Elishiva
    Evanthe
    Ahava
    Aravis
    Inez
    Avalon
    Avis
    Aviva
    Aria
    Zabrina
    Zadie
    Veda
    Zana
    Noora
    Mom to Rusha, Tarek, and Naseem

Quote Originally Posted by pistachio View Post
    Indira is beautiful but, strangely enough, I have always thought it would be offensive or disrespectful to use a name from a culture so completely unrelated to my own.
    But there are Greek, Norse and French names on the list you gave us and your son has Russian and Hebrew names. O_o I can sort of see what you mean - that the Indian culture is very different to most European cultures - but I'd put Indira (which sounds like it could be European) in a different category to say... Padmavati which has a very Indian 'sound'.

Anyway, which cultures should we be looking at over others?
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Quote Originally Posted by pistachio View Post
    SO disagrees, but I feel like we need to replace India. It's in our top five and nothing seems to fit. It isn't because of anything anyone said; I knew about the history before I put it on the list. I just don't want any trouble in the future if we use it.

Our List:

Xanthe Ada
    Verdandi Liv
    Ophelia Vivi
    India Maeve
    Primeveire Blythe

Nothing else fits there. I think I just love it too much.
    Hmm...
    This is so strange because even though I knew about the history behind India, and the controversy of using the name, in my country India is used quiet commonly amongst trendy hipster parents. So the idea that outside of my country using India is seen as 'bad' for white European people is really strange. India is a lovely choice but if you think it's too difficult to use, I think you should use Indira. So close to India but totally gets rid of the controversy. Indira is a perfect choice and sounds gorgeous with Maeve.

What's the controversy over India? (Please excuse my ignorance.)

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas