104. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're fine

68 65.38%
  • They're bad or cruel

18 17.31%
  • No opinion

18 17.31%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    I've never used them, but I was visiting my parents last week and we visited the National Aquarium and it was super crowded. I saw a little girl with one and as my arms were worn out from holding hands with my toddler who was constantly pulling on them I was a bit envious.
    Pondering names for a hypothetical #7. Current favorites: Grace Elizabeth and John Benedict nn Johnny

When my son was small, we lived far away from my parents, so we used the "leashes" in airports. He'd get to walk around and get his energy out before we got on the plane, and he thought he was king of the world walking around by himself. I was free to keep track of all the stuff I needed to travel alone with a one-year-old that had to change clothes three times a day, and he was free to use his little legs so he wasn't insane in the plane. Although he only wore it twice before he figured out how to get it off.
    ~gigi~
    *gina danielle*

My son is barely walking yet, but when he gets going I plan on using one - he's rather energetic (to put it mildly) and I have horror images in my mind of him darting out into traffic or something. I don't think they're cruel, it's not like I'll be dragging him along. It's just for my peace of mind knowing I won't have to sprint after him whilst heavily pregnant as he takes off down the street.
    Daniella, twenty-something mother to
    Flynn Alexander, May 2012
    Hayes Dominic, Oct 2013

Thank you all for your help!

I tried to use one on my oldest when he was a toddler and he was having none of it! He pulled on it and very quickly figured out how to get it off (but he was also capable of unbuckling the stroller seat belt at that point). So I didn't try it with the others.

The only time I find myself getting judgemental about leashes/reins/harnesses or any of the other devices we strap our children into are when I see the parent on the phone or Facebook - that kind of thing (and naturally, I assume they do that all the time and aren't just taking a quick, much needed break); however, as the mom of a toddler and older children, you will have opportunities to raise your eyebrows at me when you see me allowing my toddler to eat Fig Newtons out of the container in the grocery cart in an effort to distract her attempts to unbuckle herself, while I talk to my 16 year old daughter on the phone, who is supervising the 12 year old in cleaning her room and the 9 year old in eating something that isn't served through a window! Good luck fellow parents and future parents. Just love them - that's what counts.
    Luckiest woman in the world!

Mom to Logan Hunter, Savanna Nichole, Avonlea Noel and Arden "Birdie" Mae

Step-mom to Austin Ray, Haley Caroline, Kelsey Suzanne

and expecting someone else December 19!

Hahaa had to come back and say that I experienced some leash judgement at the farmers market today! Some woman rounded the corner & say my daughter and said, "Oh God!" and rolled her eyes at me! It's funny how controversial an item it is. I mean, I see toddlers drinking soda & would never think to roll my eyes at the mom. We all do the best we can and what we think is best...why does the leash get such a reaction while a mom nearby had her daughter strapped into a stroller playing with an Iphone?