104. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're fine

68 65.38%
  • They're bad or cruel

18 17.31%
  • No opinion

18 17.31%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    @tk, Will do. It will be hard to pick one that does him justice!
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (8), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Serena (Seri), Amy, Diana, Kate, Adele, Georgia, Audrey, Lucy, Linnea, Clara
    Thomas, Henry, Orin, Arthur, Samuel

DH's "approved" list:
    Seri, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas, Martin ("maybe")

I used to giggle at them when I was in my late teens/early twenties, but I don't think they're so bad now. Not a mom yet, but I could see myself using one, especially in an airport. Traveling is so stressful now (I'm in the US) that I would take any help I could get.

I don't want to offend the others and Iam not a mother to judge but these is absolutely cruel imo.I have seen my aunt use leash in my 2 yrs old cousin and I couldn't even look at them. She was crying all the way and in one moment she just stop walking so my aunt though it was appropriate to drugging her with the leash and she was literally on the floor while my aunt was keep moving!!The picture still hunted me on my mind!! I mean leashes are for dogs, right?Children must be free and not be trapped.I understand that some kids are disobeying and the parents worried about their safety but come on there isn't other way to control your kids?
    This is my opinion and I am apology in advance if i'am been rude on someone.
    Vasiliki ,
    Maeve ~ Persephone ~ Ophelia ~ Rosalind ~ Eleanor ~ Silver ~ Psyche ~ Belladona ~ Calista ~ Raven ~ Winter ~ Imogen ~ Glass ~ Nevermore ~ Remember
    Alaric ~ Amadeus ~ Grey ~ Wolf ~ Damien ~ Dorian ~ Perseus ~ Salem ~ Viktor ~ Edgar ~ Thorn ~ Gideon ~ Lucian ~ Constantine

Quote Originally Posted by bellerose View Post
    I don't want to offend the others and Iam not a mother to judge but these is absolutely cruel imo.I have seen my aunt use leash in my 2 yrs old cousin and I couldn't even look at them. She was crying all the way and in one moment she just stop walking so my aunt though it was appropriate to drugging her with the leash and she was literally on the floor while my aunt was keep moving!!The picture still hunted me on my mind!! I mean leashes are for dogs, right?Children must be free and not be trapped.I understand that some kids are disobeying and the parents worried about their safety but come on there isn't other way to control your kids?
    This is my opinion and I am apology in advance if i'am been rude on someone.
    I can see why you would think harnesses were cruel if this is the only way you've seen them used. I've never seen anyone use a harness this way on a child. Ever.

Restraining a child is not "trapping" them if it is for their own safety. My child screams when I put her in her carseat. Should I just let her ride on top of the car because that's where she'd prefer to be? Of course not! As parents, we often have to decide between what is popular and what works for our children to keep them safe. That can be very different from one family to another. Your aunt, however, sounds like she could use some parenting classes. I'm sorry that you had to witness that!

ETA: You could also consider what strollers are used for. They restrain a child so that the parent can move faster. A harness, on the other hand, is not meant to be used to "walk" a child (as some people might a dog). It's only to keep them from darting away, the parent still should be slowing down to the child's pace and walking with them.
    Last edited by tk.; July 22nd, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Quote Originally Posted by tk. View Post
    I can see why you would think harnesses were cruel if this is the only way you've seen them used. I've never seen anyone use a harness this way on a child. Ever.

Restraining a child is not "trapping" them if it is for their own safety. My child screams when I put her in her carseat. Should I just let her ride on top of the car because that's where she'd prefer to be? Of course not! As parents, we often have to decide between what is popular and what works for our children to keep them safe. That can be very different from one family to another. Your aunt, however, sounds like she could use some parenting classes. I'm sorry that you had to witness that!

ETA: You could also consider what strollers are used for. They restrain a child so that the parent can move faster. A harness, on the other hand, is not meant to be used to "walk" a child (as some people might a dog). It's only to keep them from darting away, the parent still should be slowing down to the child's pace and walking with them.
    I've only once or twice actually used the leash part when my son was wearing it and that was just to stop him from moving further from me until I reached him. Most of the time he was either wandering off slightly and I just held the leash to actually give him more freedom or I held his hand and the leash at the same time. I would assume your cousin cries when it's put on because past experiences with it. My son loves to wear his and he isn't a child who likes to be restrained. He hates being buckled into a stroller or car seat but is fine about wearing the leash. I still have only used it twice. Children can't have unlimited freedom. They would hurt themselves. I love letting my kids explore but we have several baby gates in our house because otherwise my daughter would fall right down the steps.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)