• They're fine

68 65.38%
  • They're bad or cruel

18 17.31%
  • No opinion

18 17.31%
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts on toddlers on 'leashes'?

What are your honest thoughts about toddlers on leashes?

Do you / would you ever use one?

Do you judge other parents for using them?

Edit: Apologies if the word 'leash' is the wrong world, replace it with whatever synonym you prefer
    Last edited by jojo1411; July 18th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.

I fully support parents who use baby reins on their toddlers, especially in cities. I'm not saying it's ideal, I would like for my child to be able to run carefree around on her own (which is why we're moving!), but I'd rather have her in reins and looking a bit silly, than not using them and having her run into traffic, crowds or up to strange dogs (and the list could go on!). Safety comes first, and toddlers doesn't understand the dangers of running off on their own. I'd only use it in busy streets, in parks where dogs run free and things like that though. And most of them have quite long reins, at least the ones I've seen. And they're helpful when the toddler is still a bit shaky on her feet.

Helmets on the playground, that's another thing.
    Last edited by ottilie; July 18th, 2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: added some...
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

They are not leashes, they are reins. Calling them leashes implies the child is treated like an animal.

I am in support of leashes. We used them consistently with my daughter when she stopped using her pushchair, when she was learning to walk with mummy and how to cross roads, etc.

Her rein was on the inside of a ladybird backpack, so it didn't even feel like she was on a leash. She would hold my hand any time we were outside, regardless of where it was. She would be wearing her backpack and the other end of the rein would be wrapped around the hand that was holding hers.

It was to teach her safety measures, but not limit her. That way, the rein wouldn't even be used unless she suddenly let go of me and ran away. She did it once, she ran clean out in front of a car and if it weren't for the rein she'd most definitely have been hit.

It doesn't bear to think about the consequences, toddlers are reckless and do not understand the concept of danger.

I'm very baby led and consider myself to be quite crunchy, but this is just too much for me. No offence, but the types of mothers IRL who hate reins are the types of mums who won't use prams because it restricts the baby and won't use cots because they're "baby prison"

I'm confident in my choice to use reins and I will use them again on Daisy.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

I'll admit I cringe a little whenever I see a toddler on a leash or reins or whatever, but I understand why parents would use them. I'm not a parent myself so I try not to judge!
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I use one, so I am obviously in support of them. I know plenty of moms judge this, but I mean, it's been a pure judgement-fest ever since I brought a child into this world, everyone has an opinion & you've just got to do what works best for you.

I use one cause I know my daughter. I know that she isn't careful, fearful or meek and I know she's shockingly quick. Plenty of moms with more obedient 1 1/2 year olds walk around with them and are able to teach them to stop when the curb ends...my daughter is spunky on a good day, but gleefully disobedient on a bad one...the scary possibility of her running off is too real & too dangerous for me to worry about ladies shaking their heads at me on the street. Keeping my kid safe while she learns is just more important to me.