Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need your advice - difference of opinion with husband on middle name(s)

Our baby is due in about 2.5 weeks. We're all set with the first name - we both love it. We're having problems deciding on - not so much the middle name itself, but on how many middle names to use.

I want the traditional one middle name. I think it sounds the most streamlined. We have a list of about six middles that we both like (albeit to varying degrees).

He wants two middle names. He says he wants to do this because it's more unique, and because it allows us to utilize more names in the long-run. This is true - and while, as a name-obsessed person, I should, in theory, be jumping at the chance to use more names overall, I just don't like how two middle names sound. To me, it's clunky. I know multiple people have talked about how it's really not a big deal when it comes to filling out forms and such, but it seems to be an unnecessary complication.

He said that if we go with two middle names, I can basically pick them (assuming he likes them ok). That would be the compromise: we use two middle names, but I can pretty much choose them. I'd rather go with one middle name and have him choose his favorite from our list. But he says that's not compromising on my part.

I don't like the flow of two middle names, especially since none of the middle names we like is one syllable (the first name isn't so short either - it's three syllables). He says first + middle + last is rarely spoken anyway, so why does it matter that much? I say, first + middle + last is rarely spoken anyway, so what's the point of adding an additional one in there?

I have no idea how to handle this situation. He's not budging. It's really stressing me out. I would really appreciate any advice or insight any of you have! Please help!
    Current Favorites

Adeline, Annabel, Cecily, Clara, Clementine, Cressida, Daphne, Eliza, Flora, Georgiana, Gemma, Hyacinth, Isa, Imogen, Juliet, Lila, Livia, Matilda, Ophelia, Persephone, Sabrina, Tamsin, Verona, Violet

Alastair, Asher, Callum, Caleb, Colin, Dorian, Felix, Florian, Gavin, Hallam, Inigo, Julian, Lionel, Marius, Nigel, Noel, Oliver, Raphael, Sebastian, Silas

Current furry children: Clover, Snowshoe, Avalon, Puck, Panda, Winona

Expecting a [tbd] c. August 19, 2013!!

What about shortening some of your middles so they sound a bit more streamlined?

Like, from your list say you used Imogen as a first, what if you did Anna as the first middle and Belle as the second? Then you'd have Imogen Anna Belle. He gets his second middle name and you get a not so clunky option.

Is that too sneaky? lol

You could just shorten some, Claire instead of Clara, Adele instead of Adeline, Livy instead of Livia, Vera instead of Verona, Gem instead of Gemma, etc.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Thank you for the suggestion, kala_way. Adeline is the first name - we're definitely not shortening that, as I don't like Adele at all. As for shortening the middles - that's a good idea, but unfortunately, my top middles aren't really shorten-able, at least not to forms that either of us like!
    Current Favorites

Adeline, Annabel, Cecily, Clara, Clementine, Cressida, Daphne, Eliza, Flora, Georgiana, Gemma, Hyacinth, Isa, Imogen, Juliet, Lila, Livia, Matilda, Ophelia, Persephone, Sabrina, Tamsin, Verona, Violet

Alastair, Asher, Callum, Caleb, Colin, Dorian, Felix, Florian, Gavin, Hallam, Inigo, Julian, Lionel, Marius, Nigel, Noel, Oliver, Raphael, Sebastian, Silas

Current furry children: Clover, Snowshoe, Avalon, Puck, Panda, Winona

Expecting a [tbd] c. August 19, 2013!!

I like Kala's suggestion - shorten one of the contenders. Maybe even hyphenate it. A la Adeline Isa-Claire Or Eliza Cecily-Flor.

What about using your maiden as one of the two? That feels a little less "indulgent" than 2 straight up names.

Are there any 1 syllable names you like even if they haven't been on the list? 3-2-1 flow would be nice (or 3-1-2).