Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have known about two dozen girls with a name pronounced kate-lin. I've seen it spelled Katelyn, Kaitlyn, Caitlyn, Catelynne, Katelynn, Catelin, Katelin, Katlynn and Catlyn. I don't know any with the original spelling. From my age group, it wouldn't matter HOW you spelled Caitlin, you'd still have to spell it out.

But there's something elegant about original spellings. Michaela looks a lot fresher than Makayla. There are way more girls named Kaylee than Ceilidh.

But, I am all for alternate spellings if they are for cultural/family reasons (or if the name is Irish, like Eibhlin or Meabh- more commonly seen as Evelyn or Maeve).

Clare Elisabeth is made up of two legit names. Clare is the original form of Claire, while Elisabeth is the spelling for several European languages.

If your grandmother was Lilley, then you might want to honor her using that spelling. But if you think 'y's look cooler than 'i's and more the more vowels the better, then I'd pass.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Quote Originally Posted by rkrd View Post
    I don't mind alternative spellings that are based in history or language differences, but I have an aversion to unnecessarily made-up names/spellings.
    Completely agree!
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

If it is a different but accepted form of the name it's ok...if it's Cre8tive I hate it.
    Natacha - mother to Geneva Simone and Marlena Carys
    a site that surveys people with the same name.

Current Favs:
    Boys: Archer Sloan or Merrick
    Girls: Indira Maren or Sloan

I don't mind spelling variations. I think as long as it doesn't get out of hand with too many extra letters or adds nothing to the name, then it is fine. Your name is wonderful!
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana (8/6/10) and Saela Eliza (6/24/14)

Marlow Simone - Romy Corinne - Piper - Juna
    Zefram Eli - Miles Thatcher - Ledger - Brinker