Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Questions about Names and Race

Hi Berries!

So, here is the deal - I'm adopting!

It is most likely that the child I adopt will not be Caucasian. It's most likely that they will be African American or Biracial. There is a slight chance they will be Hispanic. So, as I dream about names I try to think about their "wearability" on children of different races. I'd love to know other's thoughts on my favorite names! I'll list them and you all let me know if you think they would work for an AA, Biracial, and/ or Hispanic child okay? It doesn't have to be just one - hopefully some feel right for any race! Also, feel free to give me your impressions about the names in general!

GIRLS
    Matilda
    Naomi
    Clementine
    Elouise
    Mahalia
    Emmeline
    Louisa
    Magnolia
    Beatrice
    Mirabelle
    Annika
    Evelyn
    Rebecca
    Cecelia
    Eleanor
    Coretta

BOYS

Merritt
    Simon
    Noble
    Jericho
    Malachi
    Louis
    Zion
    Judah
    Israel
    Marvel

I think all of them would work on any child. To me, Mahalia and Coretta are suggestive of African American heritage--but I don't think that means they have to get ruled out for everyone else!

When I was younger, I used to worry that, because I'm Latina, my choices for naming children would be limited by my culture and the color of my skin. I didn't know a lot of people in my predominantly Latino community who had names I really liked and fantasized about giving to my own future children. "Would it be weird for a Latino kid to be named [preppy, white] Holden?" I even wondered aloud to my mom after falling in love with Holden Caulfield as a high school freshman.

Anyway, now I have a little Holden, and it belongs to him just as much as it did or does to any other Holden. My takeaway: Culture is living and fluid and adaptive as life itself.

Good luck in your adventure!
    human children:
    holden timothy | huckleberry jude
    non-human children:
    penelope | puck | sofia

With few exceptions, I think most names are fine for any race. I might avoid Ebony for a white child or Arianna for an AA child, but I probably wouldn't use those names in any case. I'd certainly try to incorporate some aspect of the birth parents' culture if I had that info., (perhaps include a Saint's name for a child of Catholic heritage). I think it's most important to consider the child as an individual, and race is only a part of that, not a determining factor in name selection.

I strongly believe any name works for any child. I think people should not try to give their children names that "sound like" their child's skin color. That's very restrictive, and actually kind of sad to think about. All of the names on your list would suit any child you end up adopting. Good luck with your new addition

I agree with what everyone else said and esp what tawnysaurus said about culture being living and fluid. But if you were looking to acknowledge and honor a child's AA heritage I can't think of a better name than Coretta which is on your list. I can't hear it without thinking Coretta Scott King which is a lovely image.