Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I think Mahalia would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by tawnysaurus View Post
    I think all of them would work on any child. To me, Mahalia and Coretta are suggestive of African American heritage--but I don't think that means they have to get ruled out for everyone else!

When I was younger, I used to worry that, because I'm Latina, my choices for naming children would be limited by my culture and the color of my skin. I didn't know a lot of people in my predominantly Latino community who had names I really liked and fantasized about giving to my own future children. "Would it be weird for a Latino kid to be named [preppy, white] Holden?" I even wondered aloud to my mom after falling in love with Holden Caulfield as a high school freshman.

Anyway, now I have a little Holden, and it belongs to him just as much as it did or does to any other Holden. My takeaway: Culture is living and fluid and adaptive as life itself.

Good luck in your adventure!
    I used to worry about the same things actually, except I'm Asian and not Latina.

The names on your list are beautiful! I do agree with previous posters that Mahalia and Coretta are suggestive of African American heritage because of Mahalia Jackson and Coretta Scott King (lovely namesakes) but all of the names would work for any race, really.

I only have an issue with super ethnic names. I mean, name your child what you want, but if I met an Aidan, I wouldn't expect the child to be Irish. But if I met a Niamh, I would be surprised if the girl wasn't Irish.

For the people I know that have adopted kids(from China in this case) they named their kids Elsie,Shaelynn,Emma, and Bryanna, but kept their Chinese names as middle.
    Only 19 but a name lover!

Favorites:
    Girls:
    Top Five:Charlotte Belle,Emilia Alice,Clara Eve,Norah Lucille,and Adelaide/Adeline Pearl
    Other Favorites:Violet Isabelle,Lucy Arwen, Lila Josephine, Olive Beatrix,Amelie Sophia, Audrey Catherine,Louisa Caroline,Eliza Maeve,and Matilda Sophie
    Boys:
    Henry Caspian, Rory Philip,Asher Flynn, Jack Elias, and Gideon James

I just want to add this - my parents are from different cultures, and briefly considered giving me a name that would "fit in" with my father's culture. They ended up not doing that, and I got a popular 90s name instead. I am eternally grateful, because I ended up having practically nothing to do with my father's side of the family. One thing I always loved about my name is how it blended in with my mother's side of the family. All of my cousins had traditional names and 90s popular names. I felt like one of them, which is priceless. Perhaps you should give your adopted child a name that fits in with your family, because she is going to be a part of your family much more than she will be a part of anything else. Also, culture is the environment someone lives in, not their physical traits and biological inheritance. She will be living in your environment, so she will be part of your culture. Just a thought.
    ElizabethAlessandraBronwenDylanJamesSilasJoseph

I wouldn't even worry about the kids race. Name the kid, don't worry about the variety of the child.

I'm multiracial. I do not think my parents were thinking of my ethnic mix when they named me after a goddess from a fantasy fiction book. My daughter, Charlotte, is also technically multiracial but looks Caucasian. When we picked her name, it was more for who she looked like to me, and nothing to do really with her appearance. I wouldn't go with, or avoid, a name just because of the ethnic variety of the child. I wouldn't even have that as a consideration.

Now, I might not name a dark haired child "Summer" or a blue eyed blonde kid "Hazel" but that's just me.

If you want a name that can stand up to anything, pick something classic that resonates for you.
    Last edited by yreynolds; July 18th, 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Thank you for the thoughts everyone! And I am relieved to hear that no one thinks that an AA child named Mathilda will be looked at funny. On the other hand, I do want to honor her culture/race/heritage and know that I will be keeping at least part of her original name in order to do so. Maybe I am just over thinking it!