Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by janna View Post
    Look, if a bunch of Israelis come in and name their kids Palestine, that's offensive.
    If a bunch of Protestants come in and name their kids Catholic, that's offensive.
    If a bunch of white people (Brits especially) come in and name their kids India, that's offensive.
    See how that works? I'd be pissed as hell if a white person named their kid Egypt (where I come from) cause they liked the sound. And no, it's not the same as London because people died in the Blitz. No one was arguing that you can't use it because people have died in India.
    I have Jewish Ukrainian heritage so I should be pissed if a Catholic named his child Odessa? That's rather silly, really. Why be offended of names, don't we have another offensive things in the world? Better find other things to argue about, I don't think we need to recall all that events again.

Anyway, if there is such a fuss about India, go with Indigo.

What is all this fuss about Britain's colonial history in India. Don't you realise that Britain was the largest colonial power of its time? It is understood by us today that their actions were untenable by todays standards as were the actions of other colonial powers of the time. If we are going to worry about India why not Australia or indeed any of their other territories? Are we going to wipe out Aurora, Adelaide and Sydney from the naming books too due to the problems encountered in Australia's colonial history? I think not. I am tired of hearing how 'offended' everyone is by 'everything' I had expected a lot more tolerance from today's generation than mine or my parent's generation where my father's generation fought the Japanese in WW2. I have never heard an Aussie 'Digger' denigrate the Japanese despite the atrocities the Australians suffered at their hands in WW2, and for me that says everything.
    Psalm 23

Aurora, Adelaide, and Sydney are names separate from Australia. India is directly related to India.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by scarletrune View Post
    Aurora, Adelaide, and Sydney are names separate from Australia. India is directly related to India.
    How wrong can you be these names mean Australia and are directly related to Australia in a big way!
    Psalm 23