Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I don't like it but you could always use Indiana instead or maybe even Asia.

Hi,
    In Britain I have never met anyone who finds it offensive. I have a friend who is half Indian and her name is Ela India.
    I think only Americans and Australians (from what I've been hearing) find this offensive.
    ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–16 year old Britberry๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–
    ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–Writer, dreamer, lover๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–

๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—Girls: Willa, Rosa, Genevieve, India, Ashlyn, Alana, Sybil, Bianca, Amber, Honor, Fallon๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™Boys: Daniel, Elliot, Luke, Lawrence, Ronan, Aethred, Alan, Finnian, Eric, Matthew, Joe, Marius๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

My etsy shop- http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LacianaEarrings

Well, it was on my list. Now I'm kind of rethinking it. I know a few people of Indian origin who I couldn't forgive myself for offending.
    Mommy to Mr. Ivan Eli

Hoping a little too hard for Killian Bram . Angus Rex . Dexter Linus . Remy Wolfram . Rex Oliver . Wren Winter . Starling Delilah . Augusta Fox . Zinnia Axelle . Thora Violet

Quote Originally Posted by ameliawilliams View Post
    Renrose, in the nicest way possible, you aren't a mod, to my knowledge, and this is obviously a topic people are interested in discussing.
    Ok then... Argue away!
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

Sorry, but I hate it. It's not so much 'oh, you might offend Indians', but... it's a lot more complicated than that. I'd have to sit down longer and think it over, but it just makes me skin crawl. It's made worse by the fact that I met a young India at my work (a museum that sometimes attracts young families and school groups), and before my brain kicked it, I said to her mum "Oh, like the country?". She replied "Oh good heavens, no! We just liked the sound, we hoped that it wouldn't have that...association!". Seriously. Pretty much word for word. And she was smiling as she said it. I didn't want to get in trouble for fighting with a visitor, so I just smiled and made my get-away, but... oh... argh.

Plus, sorry, but you're a Brit. As one Brit to another, seriously? Our empire brutalised India and its peoples, it's not exactly a great time in our history and we've never actually really atoned for it. There are still Brits out there who a) think the empire was a good thing and b) think people from the Commonwealth/former-empire are worth less than British-born citizens - and of course they're the kind of people who only think "whiter than white", "100% British" people fit into the latter country. I'll leave it there before it gets ranty. I've had to deal with people like that far more than I'd like.
    And... argh... again, I don't know how to phrase it. I don't much care for most country names in the first place, and India, when we have that history with the sub-continent, just... smacks of some form of colonial mindset, of frivolously handwaving 'India the country' for 'India the trendy name' and even if it doesn't offend Indians, I still find it a bit gross.

If you like the sound of India, what about... eh... I dunno... Indira? Something like that? It could lean a little towards cultural appropriation if you used it wrong, but I am pretty sick of 'cultural appropriation' and think there's a line between appreciating other cultures/languages/etc and -that-, so you could still get away with it - and it's 100% better than India.