Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I never understood people giving their kids uncommon or kr8tive names then getting upset when people can't spell/pronounce it. Wasn't that the point of you picking it?
    Quote Originally Posted by tct1219 View Post
    Same with gender-flipped names: if you chose a boy name so your daughter will be one of a kind (or so most parents seem to think), then you should be happy when people assume you have a boy because that means they would never expect it to be a girl's name.
    Yes, they are getting exactly what they wanted but they won't admit it to themselves. That's like putting your son in a pink dress and getting mad when people think he's a girl. You chose to present him as a girl! When you give a girl a man's name you are choosing to present her (on paper) as a male.
    I like lots of androgynous names so I am choosing to present my kids (on paper) as 'gender unknown'. It would be insane for me to be upset if people confuse my child's gender from their name.

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Arden
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Blaise * Linden

Quote Originally Posted by greyer View Post
    Also, I find it really ironic that someone who named their daughter "Patience" didn't seem to have any of their own.
    This. Made me laugh out loud

I think if you choose to spell your child's name kre8tivly then you should expect to be constantly asked how to pronounce it, and if you find yourself getting irritated it is your own fault. Same with if you give your child a name that is typically given to the opposite gender - especially if a person is only seeing the name in print - it is ridiculous to get upset when a person assumes your Logan is a boy, not a girl. Are people supposed to read minds? Have premonitions?

The most common reason I hear/read for people using the crazy spellings is that they want their child to be "unique" (and to me, this is especially odd because I kind of figured everyone was already unique. Apparently two Sophias are actually the same person simply because of their name, lol). I get this idea, really. It is a concern of mine to choose names for my future children that will not be shared by 5 other kids in their school/class. So if you don't want your kid to be the 3rd Sophia, name her something other than Sophia! And Not Sofeeya. Or Sohffea. Because guess what? Names are almost always spoken more than they are written. So on the playground Sophia, Sofia, and Sohffea will all still have the same name.
    Ladies
    Anneliese Helena Kate ~ Avery Catherine Lucille ~ Caroline Frances Emilia ~ Clarity Elizabeth Celine
    Josephine Louisa Danielle ~ Rosemary Margaret Jayne

&
    Gentlemen
    Desmond William Beau ~ Elijah Laurence Rhys ~ Ezra Benjamin Rene ~ Logan Christopher Knightley
    Theodore David Henry ~ Whitney Samuel John

Literary GP Combos
    Charlotte Pemberley Jane ~ Philippa Austen Rose

Wishing to be pregnant... but having to be responsible and wait for now :P

I recently met a baby named Jonah wearing a green onsie. I assumed it was a little boy but when I said "he is adorable!" HER mum got mad at me and said "Jonah is a girl! Can't you see that? Everyone always think's she's a boy!" My thought were something like...

1. Your daughter is dressed in gender natural clothing.
    2. At only 6 weeks old babies don't look like a a boy or girl, they look like a baby!
    3. Maybe it's Joanna and I misheard her (I checked she name is definitely Jonah)
    4. YOU named your daughter Jonah lady don't get snippy with me!

Instead I smiled apppologised and asked why they chose the name Jonah. She said they like to bend the rules am use boys names on girls and they like biblical names. Since she knows it's a boys name I don't get why she was so rude!
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Peishens is horrific. If you give your child a word/virtue name, at least have the decency to spell it correctly. Spelling Patience as "Peishens" makes you look illiterate. There's no getting around that. What frustrates me about all of these "creative" spellings is that a) they don't make the name more unusual, b) they usually don't follow the rules of phonetics or standard English pronunciation, c) whether anyone wants to admit it or not, these children will be judged unfairly because of their names, and d) they're just flat out tacky. Kaeilla pronounced "Kayla?" Seriously? I know a precious little girl named Jordan whose mother spelled her name Jhordynn. "Jh" is not a valid consonant combination in the English language.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

I've also noticed an influx of girls named Talon, Logan and Mason, which I don't personally like, but I'm not annoyed by. AND couple of weeks ago I had year-old twins named Mason and Dylan - I was shocked when Dylan was the girl, because I've met two other little girl Masons but never a girl Dylan, even though I know Robin Wright's daughter is a Dylan. The twins' mother was delightful and only laughed when I momentarily mixed them up, and said she's guilty of the same thing. That is how parents should act when giving their children unusual/gender-bending/yooneekly-spelled names!

@jazz1509 - My younger sisters used to be mistaken for boys all the time, even with their feminine names, so much so that my mother would only dress them in pink and purple for the first year or so of their lives. Of course that did nothing to help, but I don't ever recall my mother snapping or getting frustrated with a stranger when they mistook Lacey or Kaitlin for a boy. She always just laughed and said she didn't get it, because no one mistook my older sister and me for boys even though our names have very gender-neutral nicknames that we were called as children. Maybe it was because they were totally bald while my older sister and I always had a full head of hair?