Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Katarina

Katarina

What are your honest opinions on the name Katarina? pronounced KAT-AH-REE-NAH. This is another name that hubby likes but I can't seem to get on board with. To me, it sounds a bit too ethnic and harsh sounding. He likes the combo Katarina Skye which sounds a bit like a strippers name lol. What do you all think? Be brutally honest. Thanks.

I like Katarina, and to me it doesn't seem ethnic. It may possibly be too frilly for some tastes, but I love how it has tomboyish nicknames like Kat and Rina. I knew a five year old girl with this name (she's probably around nine-ten right now), and it fit her perfectly. I definitely see it as wearable and a new twist on Catherine.

Katarina Skye sounds kind of filler-y to me, but now stripperish.

If Katarina is too harsh for you, there's always the similar sounding Catalina.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I like Katarina, though my best friend growing up was named Katarina and she hated it because everyone called her Katrina.
    I think the middle name Skye is what makes it sound like a stripper's name.
    I don't think of Katarina as a name you expect to hear when buying a lap dance, but when you say Katarina Skye it sounds much more strippery.

I really love the name Katarina, it's frilly but has a slew of diverse nicknames if that name doesn't fit (Kat, Kate, Rina, etc). Katarina makes me think of winter and warm jackets.

I'm not fond of the middle name Skye in this case. As someone mentioned it sounds like a filler, as well as strippery. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at offering alternate solutions. I'd say Katarina Louise sounds pretty nice. I wish I could be more help on that front.
    The Future Littles:
    Delaney Lynne, Mallory June, Bridget Victoria, Rachel MarloweBrandon Erich, Daniel Kent, Nolan ____

I love Katarina (and in this spelling)! This was my great-grandmother's original Slovak name which she later changed to Catherine. My mom is named after her too (Kathryn). It doesn't sound too ethnic or stipperish to me, but you might consider pairing it with a more familiar or more classic name. (Also, Katharina or Caterina are also nice variants to consider.)

Take for example (I cheated and looked at your recent activity after including some of my favorites):

Katarina Juliet
    Katarina Cecily
    Katarina Delphine
    Katarina Hazel
    Katarina Wren
    Katarina June
    Katarina Serenity (I saw you like Serena, which can't work with Katarina, but maybe this would be appealing)
    Katarina Ines (had this on my list at one point... it's really gorgeous)

Also: I saw that you like Cassia which is said Cash-ah. Did you know the Polish diminutive of Katherine/Katarzyna is Kasia, and said very much like Cassia?
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell