Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are Genevieve and Sebastian becoming popular?

I'm seeing a lot of Genevieve's on NB right now, and some Sebastian's too. These have been my top names for a while now, but I am worried they are becoming popular. I am hoping there is no popularity increase on the SSA list, because these names will probably never be number one but they are still familiar. Am I paranoid? Is this trend just on NB? Please tell me what you think.

Thanks!
    ~Mehri

I honestly wouldn't worry about the popularity of them. If you love the name and if they end up fitting your future little ones, then it doesn't matter how many other Genevieve's or Sebastian's there are.
    I haven't heard much of them around where I live. They are both beautiful names.
    Landon Michael James - May '06
    Addison Blake Lynn - November '09
    Baby Q #3 - March '14
    Names I'm Loving Right Now
    Ladies: Charlotte, Nora, Eden, Penelope
    Gents: Finn, Simon, Bennett, Wyatt

I wouldn't worry about Genevieve. I've never met one. I've met one, maybe two Sebastians, but I still wouldn't get to worried about it. Nameberry people know which names are good, but in the real world we've got a bunch of Sophias and Benjamins. Don't sweat it.
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    | Zoe | Selene | Thalia | Lilia | Jane | Persephone | Alice | Ariadne | Nicoletta | Natalia |

| Dimitri | Augustus | Jude | Basil | Abram | Thomas | Samuel | Paul | Tobias | Ambrose |
    Pondering:
    | Cora | Cosima | Delia | Lena | Raphaela | Balthazar | Barnabas | Bartholomew | Ephraim | Thaddeus |

GP:
    | Thisbe | Cassiopeia | Briseis | Mercy | Lachlan | Emerson | Callum | Owen |

Have a fabulous day!

You can find the U.S. popularity of any name used on at least 5 babies in any one year on the Our Baby Namer website under the popularity tab.

Genevieve is on a gradual rise, 1379 U.S. Genevieves were born last year. That is about 1/1450 girls born in 2012 named Genevieve (1/2900 children). Sebastian is also on a gradual rise; 6685 baby boys were named Sebastian in the U.S. last year (in addition to 13 girls)...so about 1 in 300 boys, or 1 in 600 children born last year was named Sebastian. (The 1 our of X popularity stats help me figure out if a name is too popular for my liking. There are about 4 million children--2 million boys and 2 million girls--born each year in the U.S. so to get the ratio numbers for one sex divide 2 million by the number of boys/girls born...or to get the ratio for all children divide 4 million by the number of children born last year with that name)

Btw I love Genevieve and think Sebastian is a pretty good name.

Genevieve - Popularity of Genevieve, How Popular Is the name Genevieve?
    Sebastian - Popularity of Sebastian, How Popular Is the name Sebastian?

I wouldn't worry about popular names on nb, we generally like names that are fairly uncommon. For instance, Imogen was one of the most popular names on nb, yet in the U.S., it is outside of the top 1000. With Genevieve, its ranked in the 200s, so I wouldn't consider it too popular. I personally have never meet a Genevieve. I believe Sebastian is more popular yet it is not incredibly popular.
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett