Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to pronounce Linnaeus?

I came across this name about a week ago. It means "lime tree" in Latin. I'm hoping it's pronounced lin-nay-us instead of lin-knee-us because I prefer the former. I wasn't aware there was a botanist with this name as a surname until two days ago. Do you automatically think of the botanist when you hear the name?

it is pronounced lin-nay-us, and yes I do think of Carl Linnaeus though I think of his role in taxonomy more than his role as a botanist, I don't think many people outside of the biology community (I have my bachelors) would make that connection
    Coraline "Corey", Georgiana "Georgie", Cecilia "Cici", Guinevere "Gwen", Rosamond "Rozz"

Everett "Rhett", Quentin "Quinn", Cornelius "Coren", Cormac "Mac", Heath

Yes, I do think of Carl Linnaeus. I disagree with nercomi, I think most people who have been in a high school science class with a biology unit (so, most people) will know Carl Linnaeus' name. It's definitely not a bad association, but for me, it's a strong one.
    It's pronounced (anglicized): lih-NAY-iss (http://www.forvo.com/search/linnaeus/)

What about Marius, Romaeus, or Caius, if you don't want the botany association?
    Lucia
    travel. teach. learn.
    20-something, name aficionada
    Sela, Vivian and Bastian "Baz", Fletcher

I was an English major, so this may be the reason I've never heard of him until recently. I never had a biology class or science class where his name ever came up. Not opposed to a botanist connection, just wondering if that was the first thing to come to mind because it didn't with me.
    Last edited by eriwriter; July 16th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.

It's Lin-ay-us. It's not a negative association to the scientist. He developed the method that we use to name species.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman