Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    My grandmother was Betty but her full name was Elizabeth. It's cute, but I'd give her the full name. IMO Betty on it's own is similar to naming a child Jenny instead of Jennifer or Ben instead of Benjamin. Needs a full name I think.

I think Betty is a cute nickname but I wouldn't use it as a full name. I know an Elizabeth who gets called Betty exclusively. You can stick with one nickname with Elizabeth pretty easily I think. I also liked a previous poster's suggestion of Bettine. You get the Betty nickname more directly with this one.

My grandma is Betty (just Betty -- and she is fantastic) so I am biased...the "old lady" names are coming back in style. If you love it, go with it!

I also think you should choose a longer formal name for your daughter. Betty is too nicknameish and if you don't want to name her Elizabeth there are other choices like:

Lisbeth
    Elisabetta
    Bettina
    Bettine
    Lilibeth
    Bettan (bet-uhn)
    Beatrice

Though if you can't find a more formal name for her then just go ahead with Betty it's not hideous but too short and cutesy for my taste. But I don't think she will hate you for the name Betty

If I was Betty, I would love my mom even more. It's a fantastic name which almost every girl would like to have but...I'd give her an option and put Elizabeth or Bettina or Bethany on her birth certificate. I see no problem with her going only by her nickname when she is little - a lot of people do that(including me) but she will have an opportunity to have something formal.
    Olympia
    Russian Lit student, bookworm, and arts geek.

Serena Elowen LivEmmeline Twila AliceSibyl Jemima IrisEsme Helena Mazarine
    Nathaniel Silvius Wilde Grover Elijah St JohnOscar Ignatius Cosmo Robin Hector Barnaby