Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Honoring my mother

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are trying for baby #3. We have two boys, Thorston Thomas and Leo Matthew, and are hoping for a girl this time around. If we do have a girl, I'd like to honor my mother, who passed away when I was 18. Here's the only problem: as much as I loved my mom, I don't love her name, Teri. My husband and I like more feminine names for girls (my favorite girl's names are Cecily and Juliet; he likes Charlotte nn Lottie), and Teri just sounds very unisex to me. I do like her middle name, Kay, although not necessarily as a first name.

Here's my question: how do I incorporate a version of my mom's name without using Teri? Is putting Kay in the middle enough? My brother and his wife did this for their daughter, but I think it's okay for cousins to have the same middle since they won't go by this. Would a more feminine variation of Teri such as Teresa retain enough of a connection to my mom? Suggestions for first and middle would be appreciated!

Teri is a common nickname for Teresa, so I think it would be fine, even if it wasn't your mom's full name. Or how about using a longer name that starts with Kay or the same sound - Kaylee/Kayleigh, Cadence, Casey, etc. Or even something like Kerry May - it rhymes with Teri Kay.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Your daughter's name connection to your mother can be anything you want! It's all about it being meaningful to you and your family. I think cousins with the same middle is fine, and a nice connection between them and their late grandmother. I can understand that Teri is masculine and outdated, so using a variation to it is fine. It's all in your explanation and the feeling you have toward it. You could also use the same first and middle initial, T K, when naming your daughter.
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana (8/6/10) and Saela Eliza (6/24/14)

Marlow Simone - Romy Corinne
    Zefram Eli - Miles Thatcher

I like Therese or I think you could use any K- name. Juliet Karena (meaning 'pure') is lovely.

What about Katerina? It has the Teri and Ka(y) look and feel and is longer and feminine. It could work as a first or middle name. I've placed with the combo Cecily Katerina before, or your husband may like Charlotte Katerina. Juliet Katerina. Or the reverse: Katerina Cecily, Katerina Charlotte, Katerina Juliet. All of them sound so lovely (at least to my ear). I like Therese and Theresa as options too.

Other food for thought:

Aster
    Asteria
    Caterina
    Ester / Estera
    Kateri (Mohawk version of Katherine, might work/be appealing as a full name or nickname for Katerina)
    Tara (similar sound to Teri, plus I like Cecily Tara and Charlotte Tara)
    Taryn (see note about Tara)
    Terra
    Terenzia
    Wisteria

Hope this helps ~ Best of luck to you!
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell