Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I have a challenge for everyone - help with MN/honoring family...

So this is a tough one. Everyone is such a naming expert, though, that I hope you ladies can come up with something! We are at a loss, and it's discouraging.

We want to pick a middle name for DS that honors both our fathers. This is especially important to me because mine passed away when I was a teen, and we were really close.

H's Dad: FN John, MN Lawrence
    My Dad: FN Melvin (NN Mel), no MN

We don't want two middle names, ie: BabyBoy John Mel or BabyBoy Mel John
    Using my maiden name is out - it's a MOUTHFUL. :|

How in the world can I select a name that incorporates these two nicely? Or even semi-nicely? :|

I thought of looking at the meanings and trying to select a name that incorporates both. John is Hebrew and means "God is Gracious." As for Melvin, it really varies depending on the site! I have literally found about five different meanings: counsel protector, chief, friend, etc. I don't know how I'd realistically find one that has the incorporation of both meanings, though, unless I sifted through names for hours and hours and hours - which, I might likely have to do.

Any help, insight, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Okay I took a kind of weird approach, but tell me what you think!

Jovin - this is a mixture of John and Melvin. It is a real name of Latin origins and is a variant of Jovan. Its meaning is "father of the sky" which I think is also cool since you are honoring your fathers! I also think it is actually a really great sounding name!

Lavin - I think pn Lay-vin. This name seems to be very obscure but there are some listings of it on the internet. It is listed as more of a girls name but I think as a middle it is very masculine

Im not sure how you will feel about this but hopefully you like one of them! Good luck!
    -Kiele

I might go with initials...choose names you love that start w/J and M in either order. I like Joshua Michael or Joseph Mercer.

What about Jordell? It is an English form of Jordan. It has the 'Jo' of John and the 'el' of Melvin.

Joel! Perfect combination of the 2 names, and also a nice, legitimate name.

What first names are you considering? I think that would be helpful. You could pick a first name that honoured one of the grandparents and use the other's name as a middle name. Since Mel/Melvin is more difficult to honour because it doesn't have any "related" names, you might like a variant of John for the first name:
    Jack
    Jackson
    Ivan
    Séan
    Shane
    Zane
    Ian
    Evan
    (unrelated but similar-sounding names)
    Jonathan
    Jonas
    Jonah
    Joah

names similar to Mel/Melvin
    Calvin
    Armel
    Kelvin
    Kevin
    Vincent
    Melville
    Michael, Michel
    Maxwell
    Marcel
    Samuel

Something like Jack Melvin or Jonathan Mel would be great.
    Bertrand -bertie-, Wilfred, Léon, Axel, Cuthbert -cubby-, Maxentius, Aubrey, Phoebus, John-Henry.
    Émilienne, Livia, Annabella -abbey-, Maud, Rosamund, Kimborough, Clemency, Elizabeth-Charlotte.