Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Namebullies?

I'll fess up - I'm totally a bully. I'm over it. But it's usually only when people are absolutely ridiculous and they want to name their kids something like Beaupré Macgillicuddy Starburst Giggles, or when people give absolutely horrendous health advice and pose as some kind of expert and say things like you know that if you put pink, strawberry Jelly Bellies in your hoo-ha three days before you ovulate you'll surely have a girl. I'm going to be rude about it. I'm over it.

Overall I think people are extremely way too nice on these forums. My husband likes to read over my shoulder and see what I'm posting, and at the end of one of my post he said I should add FOAD. I was like what's that? It's F#ck Off And Die, we use it all the time in forums; there's also DIAF which is Die In A Fire. I've never seen those acronyms on Nameberry, nor STFU. I think we run fairly tepid.

PS I'm using the voice command on my iPhone, and it totally just autocorrected something to Beaupré which I had to look up and learned it's a place in Québec. I thought that would be a decently weird word name.
    Last edited by poppy528; July 18th, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by scarletrune View Post
    I've been thinking about this. So it's not okay to call a name "ridiculous" but it's okay to call people bullies? :-/
    Exactly, excellent point. And with all the Cohen stuff today, it's really not cool to call people racist, anti-Semitic, trolls, or hillbillies when they share a "devil's advocate" viewpoint in a tactful manner. Shutting down a discussion by calling out "troll" is my biggest pet peeve. No one is forcing you to read or comment on a thread. Lets not jump on the "everyone who brings up a controversial viewpoint, especially you non-minorities, is a racist" bandwagon.
    Last edited by iamamiam; July 18th, 2013 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamamiam View Post
    Exactly, excellent point. And with all the Cohen stuff today, it's really not cool to call people racist, anti-Semitic, trolls, or hillbillies when they share a "devil's advocate" viewpoint in a tactful manner. Shutting down a discussion by calling out "troll" is my biggest pet peeve. No one is forcing you to read or comment on a thread.
    A troll is someone whose only purpose on a forum is to start arguments, it's not an insult, they shouldn't even be there to start with. I call out trolls to stop people wasting their time.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    A troll is someone whose only purpose on a forum is to start arguments, it's not an insult, they shouldn't even be there to start with. I call out trolls to stop people wasting their time.
    There are definitely some trolls but how do we ever really know for sure...I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt. It is most definitely an insult when it is not true. Example: someone can call me a "troll" now because they think I'm arguing when I'm really only trying to contribute to a discussion, and that would be insulting. The "arguments" they start may be viewed as decent discussions to have and not a waste of time in other people's opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by iamamiam View Post
    There are definitely some trolls but how do we ever really know for sure...I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt. It is most definitely an insult when it is not true. Example, someone can call me a "troll" now because they think I'm arguing when I'm really only trying to contribute to a discussion, and that would be insulting. The "arguments" they start may be viewed as decent discussions to have and not a waste of time in other people's opinions.
    You have over a hundred posts. I doubt anyone would call you a troll. O_o
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.