Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Namebullies?

Quote Originally Posted by p.pie View Post
    Stepping outside of personal taste is hard to do.
    For sure. But it's what would/could make the discussions so much better! I can't give up hope, even if this is the Internet
    human children:
    holden timothy | huckleberry jude
    non-human children:
    penelope | puck | sofia

I might be alone in this, but I don't think that this is such a big problem on here. I think the majority of the berries are so lovely and helpful, but also honest which I think is a good thing when asking about opinions (but again, that might just be me). You can't ask for opinions on a name and expect everyone to compliment it. There are so many people on here with a different taste than yours and sometimes it can be nice with a new point of view of things (that said, obviously it's not necessary to lambast the name(s)/user completely). I also think that people should remember that it's not a personal attack on you if someone don't like your favourite name or say that they hate it (or whatever). It's funny because on another forum (royalty-related, obviously) I am a member of, we were discussing the future name of Baby Cambridge and someone had mentioned how they hoped William and Catherine wouldn't use a specific name because of one of its nicknames and several people agreed with that. Then another poster felt a bit hurt because the nickname that people didn't like happened to be her name, but it really wasn't a personal vendetta against her or anyone else named *name*, it was merely stating that they didn't like the name.

Generally I try not to post in threads where the TS has a completely different style than me because that wouldn't be helpful at all (and I'm also ridiculously bad at suggesting names, so I think I do everyone a favour by staying away from threads where I don't even like the names mentioned in the OP)
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Yeah, I don't know why, but I have been noticing a lot of that also. For example, I really don't like the name Phyllis at all. But I'm not going to tell someone that their child will be scarred forever if they choose that name, because they won't. Who knows but that their child will love that name and be eternally grateful for it. So, my response would be something along the lines of, "It's nice but I don't really like it myself".

P.S. No offense meant to any Phyllis's : )
    Raphael Benedict-Charles Dominic-Jude Balthasar-Damian Leonard-Seth Matthias

Lucia Marguerite-Genevieve Reine-Maura Francesca

Honor-Emilia-Afton-Maeve-Fleur-Ophelia-Moses-Emrys-Constantine-Arthur

If you read the original post, you'll see that the sentiment wasn't that everyone should only ever say when they like a name, and no one should ever criticize a name, but that criticism should be constructive and thoughtful.

And yes, most berries are quite helpful. But I've seen several (many?) threads lately in which a proposed name--often a unique, unusual, or otherwise non-Nameberry name, often proposed by a new member--is blasted and then about 30 posters pile on with comments that aren't constructive or helpful in the slightest. I do think that's a problem because it shuts out new ideas and perspectives.
    human children:
    holden timothy | huckleberry jude
    non-human children:
    penelope | puck | sofia

I agree tawnysaurus. It's seems like we're talking about several different things, which is fine and I like hearing about why people post the way they do. But I know you didn't mean "WARM FUZZIES ONLY!"