Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Persephone?

Hybrid View

Persephone?

I actually got hubby to discuss names with me a bit earlier and he surprised me with Persephone. He's really into Greek mythology and loves this name with the nickname Seph or Sephie. I don't know, I just can't get into it. I like that it is soft sounding and rolls off the tongue quite nicely and the nn's possibilities aren't bad, but something about it seems unusable to me. Is it just me? I know here on Nameberry it is a very well-liked name but I've never in my lifetime met a Persophone. So what do you all think? Is it too much name? Do you think there is teasing potential? Would you personally use it? Please be brutally honest. Thanks

I think it's awesome. I would absolutely name my daughter after the queen of the underworld (resident mythology experts, I apologize if that's inaccurate). It's a gorgeous name with great connotations and nickname possibilities. I say go for it.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

To be brutally honest, I really dislike it. No, I am not afraid of using such highly unusual names but Persephone just isn't appealing in my opinion. It is so long and a bit mouthful, contains the word "phone", may be difficult to pronounce for somebody and sounds strange to my ears. I also don't like Seph or Percy for nickname. Persephone is not my thing at all and I wouldn't use it. I much prefer Hermione or Penelope.
    Olympia
    Russian Lit student, bookworm, and arts geek.

Serena Elowen LivEmmeline Twila AliceSibyl Jemima IrisEsme Helena Mazarine
    Nathaniel Silvius Wilde Grover Elijah St JohnOscar Ignatius Cosmo Robin Hector Barnaby

I wish I could get on board with it, because I love Penelope and like Phoebe, but I just don't care for it. Granted, I have fairly conservative/classic naming taste, but it just feels like a bit too much for me. Plus it may be hard to avoid the nn Percy. A lot of the Greek mythology names, while definitely cool, are too bold for my taste.

Persephone isn't any more or less wearable than Penelope. I think Persephone is a pretty, unusual choice. It may not be my style, but I'd love to see it on someone else's daughter.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline