Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: What should I name my darling Portuguese Water Dog puppy?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Geneva/Gineva nn Ginny

14 35.00%
  • Kirrily nn Kirra

6 15.00%
  • Jetta nn Jett

11 27.50%
  • Sage

7 17.50%
  • None of the above

2 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My puppy baby's name!

I posted here before about a name for my girl Portuguese Water Dog puppy that I'm getting soon. I want to decide on a name within the next two days. So here's the poll! What shall I call my much anticipated companion?

Geneva/Gineva: popped into my head just today. Does it work with the nickname Ginny? Or do I need to spell it with an i? And if so, is it too harry potter associated?

Kirrily: nn kirra. I really like how cheerful and energetic is sounds.

Jetta: nn Jett. Jetta is one of my fave girls names. it seems to be a perfect fit - the puppy is all black(jet black), and jets are fast and I plan to do agility with the dog.

Sage: my mom says s is not a hard enough syllable to be a dog name. I do love sage as a name.

Other options include Maisie, Calla, and Jolie.
    Last edited by larkub101; June 16th, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
    ~Larissa

~ Giving up Nameberry for Lent; See you on the 14th of April! ~

I could really use some opinions! My worries right now are:
    Geneva: should I train her with full name or Ginny? And is Geneva too formal for a dog?
    Kirrily: my sister says its weird. And also should I mainly use kirrily or Kirra
    Jetta: maybe it's just me but does this sound awkward if you don't pronounce the t? Bc when I say it it's more like Jedda.
    Sage: too bland?

Opinion -

Of all the names on your list, I really like Geneva. I don't think its too formal for a pet. I know a dog named Albert Edward called Albie. Most people, for some reason, end up using shorter names for a pet.

Whatever name you choose, you need to train her with the name you are going to use for her most often.

They say dogs respond best to harder, one syllable sounds. But that's for commands, not names necessarily.... Still I like Kirrily nn Kirra for that reason (hard K). but my favorite is Jetta nn Jett... since she's all black, and also since she's a water dog you could call her "Jettski"
    Cassia | Phoebe | Emmeline | Matilda | Oona | Sylvie | Dahlia | Rosalind | Vivienne | Miranda
    Milo | Emmett | Sebastian | Theodore | Lucian | Rafferty | Matteo | Vincent | Donovan | Wesley

I love the name Sage, especially for a Portuguese water dog. Kirrily is my second favorite, but Kirrily Sage with first and middle would be even better.
    ~Mehri