Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with naming my character

So, I need help naming the four characters of my story: my main character, her single adoptive mother, her best friend/love interest and his widowed uncle.

The main character is a girl, the lost daughter of the Sea King who finds out that she is a mermaid sent to seek protection aboveground. She is of about thirteen/fourteen years of age. She is somebody with a lot of spunk, rather tomboyish, impulsive and generally doesn't care what other think of her. She has chestnut-brown, shoulder-length hair and gray eyes. I originally wanted to name her Cordelia, nn Cory, or Miranda, nn Mira (EDIT: maybe Mia would also work) ... but I don't know which one sounds better... help?

Her mother is thirty years of age and lets her daughter call her by her first name.

Her best friend/love interest, unlike the main character, is much shyer and is less impulsive than her. He has black hair and sea-green eyes. He's also a merman. I don't really want him to be called a "modern-sounding" name like Rebel or Zac, but more of a vintage, unusual and quaint name, because (in my opinion) merpeople's names should be unique-sounding.

The widowed uncle of the best friend/love interest is a little eccentric and messy. He is of about forty years of age. Again, I feel that his name should be quaint and old-fashioned, like something that an eccentric old man could be named.

P. S. It would be nice if the meaning of the name matched the characters' personality
    Last edited by rubymoss; July 17th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
    "The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters." ~ Audrey Hepburn

If the adoptive mother is 30, that would make her only 16/17 when the MC was born - I'm not sure on adoption laws but I'm pretty sure you have to be at least 18 in most countries - though I guess if the MC was adopted later in childhood it could work.

Cordelia nn Cory fits a bit better - girly name with tomboyish nickname.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Girl: I think a sea-related name would work extremely well, both for your context and her character.

Maris means 'of the sea,' and this can be altered to Marisa/Marissa
    Meredith might mean 'Sea lord,' and it is also a boy's name in Wales.
    Moana means 'deep sea.'

From your choices I like Cordelia, nn Cory.

I'll need a bit more info on her mother...? I get the personality you're going for, but from your plot summary her 'mother' lets her call her by her first name because she isn't actually her mother. (wild guess?)

For the boy,

Dylan means 'great tide'
    Hadrian just fits him, so I'm throwing that out there. Derived from a city that was the namesake of the Adriatic Sea.

Old man

Elwood
    Vance
    Victor
    Harvey
    Dewey
    Lindon
    Lloyd

Surf Behind the Name, you'll find some really cool names and very accurate results.
    I’m just trying to behave as I think a friend should behave. Granted, I haven’t had much practice.

~Elphaba Thropp, Wicked, by Gregory Maguire

Miranda ・13 ・Fangirl ・Author
    Writer ・Student ・Game of Thrones

♕ Kings ♕
    Rafael ・Jared ・Felix ・Sebastien ・Emmett ・Varan
    ♔ Queens ♔
    Ingrid ・Saskia ・Minerva ・Magnolia ・Norna ・Emilia ・Louisa ・Jemsa ・Isobel ・Lucrezia

Author of

Royal
    Empire of Crowns

Main Character:
    I love the nickname Mira! What about Mirella, Mirena or Marina.
    Tallulah nn Tali means "leaping water"
    Maren
    Moira means "star of the sea"

Mom:
    These are some popular names for 30 years ago
    Jamie
    Vanessa
    April
    Natasha
    Victoria
    Jennifer
    Stephanie