Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Talk to me about Bay (on a girl)

What do you think? It's quickly becoming one of my favourites. I've been using it in the middle for a while, but recently I've been thinking about it as a first name. It's just so pretty and nature-y. It's sweet and simple, like May, but more earthy... and just as youthful as Bea but more of a name in it's own right.

I always assumed it was predominantly female until I looked it up on Nameberry - it's not even listed as unisex (neither is Indigo/Willow/Cricket/Lark etc. which bothers me a bit, since Nameberry as a whole is pro-'unisex', surely very neutral sounding word names should be listed as both male and female).
    Am I the only one? Is it really seen as a male name? It doesn't particularly bother me if it is, I'm just wondering about it's general perception. Also, do you prefer it as a male or female name? Again, just after a few opinions.

How would you feel if you met a little Bay? Or a woman named Bay, as a matter of fact?
    ★ O L I V I A ★
    (seventeen, student / traveller, obsessively maternal and owner of darling black cat Shura)

Emmett - Alec - Rufus - Wilfred - Eoghan
    Trudie - Fenella - Aoife - Jemima - Eilidh

I like Bay a lot. It's interesting and naturey without being too ridiculously out there or over the top. I can easily see it on a little girl or a professional woman.

I definitely prefer it for a girl over a boy. Though the nature aspect of it reads unisex the sound of the name itself strikes me as feminine.

I think it is cute and definitely a girl's name! It seems a little incomplete to me though, what about Beya? Similar sound, but I think the 2 syllables makes it a little more complete!
    -Kiele

It reminds me of a nickname for Bailey, and I have even seen Beyonce with the nickname Bey (same sound). Definitely feels more nicknamey to me, but I still think it could work for a girl.
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana (8/6/10) and Saela Eliza (6/24/14)

Marlow Simone - Romy Corinne - Piper - Juna
    Zefram Eli - Miles Thatcher - Ledger - Brinker

Feels nickname-y to me.

I think 'bay laurel' which feels feminine because I think of Laurel/Daphne as incredibly girly, bay coloured horses which feels gender-neutral but maybe slightly male, like Roan, and bay like a harbour and that is gender neutral but unappealing for both genders.

Bayla/Baila (first syllable like Bay) is a family name for me, I considered Bay as a variant, but I really prefer Belle or Blythe for single-syllable B names, honestly. I do prefer Bay to Bayley - but I really hate Bayley, so big deal, right?