Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aj_bear View Post
    Me either. You don't live in an area with a large population of Jews- neither do I. But I still would NEVER even consider using it, because my son could move to New York or Miami or whatever, and offend a great deal of people.
    I can't stop you, but I ask you to reconsider.
    I agree with this post. Just because right now you live in an area with a low Jewish population, doesn't mean you will forever. You could move somewhere more heavily populated. Or imagine a day when your son is in college and he wants to study abroad. Or Cohen dreams of living in a big city.

Life could take him many different places, and having a name that's offensive to a huge group of people won't help him any.
    The Future Littles:
    Delaney Lynne, Mallory June, Bridget Victoria, Rachel MarloweBrandon Erich, Daniel Kent, Nolan ____

Gigantic meh. Do it, don't do it. It will piss some people off apparently. So, yeah...

I am confused maybe the berries can help me. If Cohen is offensive to use as a first name is it also offensive as a last name? Are people this heated when a non-Jewish person has the last name Cohen? Do people of the Jewish faith who do not like the use of the name Cohen expect a person to change their last name of Cohen to a different name? Thanks (just a name lover who finds this conversation very interesting)

Quote Originally Posted by littlemeg View Post
    I am confused maybe the berries can help me. If Cohen is offensive to use as a first name is it also offensive as a last name? Are people this heated when a non-Jewish person has the last name Cohen? Do people of the Jewish faith who do not like the use of the name Cohen expect a person to change their last name of Cohen to a different name? Thanks (just a name lover who finds this conversation very interesting)
    No, it's not offensive as a last name. It is merely an occupational surname that describes the role/job/tribe. It was used as a last name to describe people of that tribe.

And "expect" is different again. I don't actually expect people to HAVE to not use it as a first name, either. I can't force anyone to do anything and I wouldn't force them not to by law. I just think it's either innocently ill-informed or an intentionally "well I like it so nyah nyah I'll do what I want" act of appropriation. Saying someone has a right to name their kid what they want is true but we're not all commanded to applaud.

Yeah, okay, chiming in as another Jew. Please note that those people claiming they do NOT find it offensive are not Jews. Of course you don't find it offensive. But you cannot control/change what we feel is offensive; we control that. And it's not like naming a girl Mary. In terms of naming, it's kind of like an avowed atheist naming their kid NuMessiah. The reaction I have to the given name Cohen is probably most similar to my Christian friends' reactions when they see a photo of the artwork "piss Christ." If you are a Christian, you should know well the line: I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. How about you bless us in this instance and pick any of the dozens of excellent priestly names in the good book? I hear Uriah's picking up steam.
    Name-researcher inside a Greco-Roman framework AKA etymologies-R-US, trying to resurrect a few ancient praenomena and some not-so-ancient favorites, such as:
    Ira - Gnaeus - Avner - Bayard - Berenike - Faust
    Furmom to Euryale and Tiberius.