Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I'm in Western Sydney, lol. I must need to work on getting that Southern-cross-made-of-frangipanis tattoo I keep threatening my bogan-phobic husband with.

I wouldn't compare the name to Bishop or Jesus - more like naming your kid "Holy Spirit" or "Virgin Mary" - imagine that kind of intensely religious name, for a religion that isn't your own, and that's the kind of name you'll be giving your child. You have the right to do it, just be informed.

dregina

I wouldn't compare the name to Bishop or Jesus - more like naming your kid "Holy Spirit" or "Virgin Mary" - imagine that kind of intensely religious name, for a religion that isn't your own, and that's the kind of name you'll be giving your child. You have the right to do it, just be informed.

^^^^I 100% agree with this analogy. I love biblical names, but as a Jewish person I would definitely raise an internal eyebrow meeting a Cohen. I am not horribly offended, but I do think it is of questionable taste.

Please reconsider. It is offensive to Jews, particularly very religious Jews. It is clear you don't understand the meaning that Cohen has to the Jewish people, and there are several clear explanations on this thread, and others, for you.

Exclamation Cashew Mama Chiming In on Cohen

So, as a half-Jewish, half-Catholic mama, I have to say that, while I understand that it is your absolute right to name your child whatever you want AND if you like it, in a way, you should be free to do it, the very dramatic reactions that you are getting to this possible name choice might be a good indication of the kind of reaction that you and your child might receive, after he is born, in person. We always consider surface things, like trying not to name our children with initials that will be made fun of, trying not to set them up for problems. This is a much heftier consideration. While liking a name is important, and identifying why you like it, for your own religious/spiritual reasons, is important as well. But please consider, by ignoring the pleas of many for cultural sensitivity, what spiritual statement is that making?

If you want a priestly name - try Aaron. If you want something more individual, why Jericho? Cohen is a cultural appropriation, one that will create barriers for your future child.
    Last edited by mcdowema; July 16th, 2013 at 02:29 PM.