Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I'm a non-Jewish person and I don't really understand why Cohen is offensive. As boyandgirl said, I wouldn't be offended if someone names their child Bishop, Deacon, Jesus or any other biblical name. Also, depends where you live. I guess this is a bigger issue in America than anywhere else because their Jewish population is larger. In Australia, I bet 99% of the population would have no idea some people consider this name offensive. Anyway, I think if you love the name then go for it, but be aware that you may meet some raised eyebrows when you introduce your child in the future.
    TTC #1

Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    I guess this is a bigger issue in America than anywhere else because their Jewish population is larger. In Australia, I bet 99% of the population would have no idea some people consider this name offensive. Anyway, I think if you love the name then go for it, but be aware that you may meet some raised eyebrows when you introduce your child in the future.
    I don't know that I personally would need to know my kid would actually suffer for having a name to not use it, if it were offensive to a minority group, but I know a lot of people don't feel that way as some rather questionable names are quite popular in the mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    In Australia, I bet 99% of the population would have no idea some people consider this name offensive.e.
    That is true most Aussies would have no clue that it is such an emotive issue for Americans.

So, I think those most offended need to temper their responses with a little understanding that what uou understand in your culture may not have even been heard of in another.

The Aussie psyche is all about being fair and fair dinkum (genuine), and we are truly gobsmacked to find out what we thought was just another name causes so much rage.

rollo
    Psalm 23

Who needs to temper their responses? I didn't see anyone going off in a rage, just saying they found it offensive or worried about the implications of other people finding it religiously offensive. How much more tempered could a response be and still convey the hurt/concern? Isn't that just being fair dinkum ourselves? I'm not trying to be nasty.

I get liking a name and being unaware of the appropriation aspects. I've had to be told about other names I just liked the sound of. I was glad to learn it though rather than use it not knowing how it was seen by the cultures it was taken from. Personally I appreciate that kind of info - I've needed it in the past with my own list.

Hi stripedsocks the 'they' could be the generic 'they' of the many times I have seen this subject discussed but if you look at this thread again one of the berries had what I will term the 'rage'.

For your cousins across the pond here in Oz gently educating us would be more helpful.

rollo
    Psalm 23