Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

About the name Cohen..

First off, I am not a "Troll". The fact that mothers are arguing and having debates on a baby name site is pretty ridiculous. I knew the name Cohen was a sacred Jewish name. Did I care? No, I didn't. I see no reason as to why I should. I am not Jewish, nor Do I live in a highly populated Jewish Community. I don't have any Synogues near me, and I do not even know of any Jewish people residing in my area. I'm not worried about my child being looked down upon, because if a parent really judges a child on their name, they have some serious problems. These forums are for helping each other out, not to argue. We're all adults. So I suggest all of you mothers mature up and act like it. NOW: Any middle name ideas for the name Cohen?

Hi, my son's name is Cohen and I do live in a city with a jewish population... My neighbours are Jewish, my son goes to a summer camp ran by Jewish people, and there has never been any problems, not even questions. That's my experience. I have actually considered just leaving nameberry, even though I enjoy learning about names, because I think there is some really bad vibes here and I don't believe in destroying other people's name choices.

I think Cohen Victor, Cohen Samuel or Cohen Oliver are really nice choices.

Lol. Sock puppets!
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

Quote Originally Posted by futuremrsberkheimer View Post
    First off, I am not a "Troll". The fact that mothers are arguing and having debates on a baby name site is pretty ridiculous. I knew the name Cohen was a sacred Jewish name. Did I care? No, I didn't. I see no reason as to why I should. I am not Jewish, nor Do I live in a highly populated Jewish Community. I don't have any Synogues near me, and I do not even know of any Jewish people residing in my area. I'm not worried about my child being looked down upon, because if a parent really judges a child on their name, they have some serious problems. These forums are for helping each other out, not to argue. We're all adults. So I suggest all of you mothers mature up and act like it. NOW: Any middle name ideas for the name Cohen?
    This makes me sad. Why should you care about another culture just because you don't associate with anyone from that culture? Really? So just because you don't live near any black people, it's okay to make racist jokes?

To me, it's like naming my son Pope. I AM Catholic so it would be somewhat culturally appropriate but I know others in my religion would take offense to it.

I'd also like to politely point out that people were actually being fairly polite about asking you to not use the name. If you're really so upset about the reactions you got here, perhaps it's best to not use the name because in real life, you could get just as many negative reactions, if not worse reactions when you actually associate outside your non-Jewish bubble.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I understand your frustration, but I'm not feeling motivated to help right now, mostly because I feel as if I've been snapped at--unjustly and out of the blue--for "needing to mature" re: an argument I never had.

Confrontation is not a hugely-successful way to begin a request.