Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    I think the average American seeing this name would pronounce it EYE-lish.

From what I understand, the pronunciation of many Irish words and names depends on the dialect where you are in Ireland, so probably AY-lish and EYE-lish are both correct. I have also heard the ending pronounced more like "leesh" than "lish".

EYE-lish would be my guess.

Eilish

My daughter's name is Eilish. We pronounce it Ay-lish.
    She is the the only one we know with the name and she is always told how unique and pretty it is.

AY-lish. It's Scottish/Gaelic, isn't it?
    eighteen, no babies yet, but thinking about;

~Tillie, Myrtle, Bessie, Millie, Minnie, Louisa, Amelie, Elsie, Ethel, Florence, Doris, Nellie
    Agatha, Mildred, Lillian, Eleanor, Florrie, Betsy, Violet, Esme, Daisy, Poppy, Martha, Beatrice~

~Neville, Matthew, Richard, Ernest, Alfie, Thomas, Walter, Louis, Christopher, Henry, Harry
    James, Albert, Joshua, Percy, Freddie, Andrew, George, Kit, Edward, Mark, Kieran, Emery, Tristan~

Quote Originally Posted by thatkathryngirl View Post
    I think the average American seeing this name would pronounce it EYE-lish.

From what I understand, the pronunciation of many Irish words and names depends on the dialect where you are in Ireland, so probably AY-lish and EYE-lish are both correct. I have also heard the ending pronounced more like "leesh" than "lish".
    I had a friend called this from Belfast, and she said Ay-leesh, but she's the only one I've heard of saying it that way. Perhaps it's a location thing, more prominent in the North than South?
    eighteen, no babies yet, but thinking about;

~Tillie, Myrtle, Bessie, Millie, Minnie, Louisa, Amelie, Elsie, Ethel, Florence, Doris, Nellie
    Agatha, Mildred, Lillian, Eleanor, Florrie, Betsy, Violet, Esme, Daisy, Poppy, Martha, Beatrice~

~Neville, Matthew, Richard, Ernest, Alfie, Thomas, Walter, Louis, Christopher, Henry, Harry
    James, Albert, Joshua, Percy, Freddie, Andrew, George, Kit, Edward, Mark, Kieran, Emery, Tristan~