Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Elay

Elay

C-section scheduled for tomorrow morning!
    My wife has come up with her favorite Chinese name, which if the 'English' name didn't matter, would be her top choice. In Chinese, it'd be pronounced ee-lay (the pinyin spelling is 'yi lei'). It basically means pure and truthful and steadfast and strong and just. Having a great and meaningful Chinese is important to me (and we live in China, so the Chinese name will be used most often).

Couple of questions:

1) Do you think the name Elay looks made up (in actuality, this spelling is completely made up, but since there is no 'spelling' in the Chinese language, there would be no 'correct' spelling of the name)?

2) There are several 'English' names that sound similar to ee-lay. I don't really like the name Eli much, but I do quite like the name Elias. I don't mind using Christian names, but I don't want to choose a name that feels 'only' Biblical (for example, when I hear some names, like Elijah, Jeremiah, Ezekial, etc they just feel too heavily like Christian-only kind of names to my ear). Do you think Elias sounds too heavily Biblical? Are there any other names you can think of that sound similar to ee-lay?

Note: With this Chinese name, I'm also starting to lean more towards strongly considering Evander, since it shares the same first syllable sound as my wife's favorite Chinese name option. And it's meaning (Greek= 'good man') also shares a lot of commonality with it's Chinese meaning.
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

Elaine or Elena come to mind for a girl. For a boy...Elias sounds a bit more 'Biblical' than Elijah, but probably just because Elijah is so much more common. I really like Elias, though, and I'm not very religious these days. Ethan is a great name choice you might also consider. Evander is good, but to me it brings to mind the boxer Evander Holyfield...somewhat intimidating.

AHhh!! C-section was moved up... to a couple of hours from now! I wonder what this baby will be called! Find out soon.....
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

Congrats! Elias is not too Biblical, and actually it's a gorgeous name. It's Ilyas in Iran and most of the Middle East (and was one of my top picks, but DH vetoed it). Elay does look made up in English, and a bit like 'a lay'... so I'd definitely use Elias if you go with Yi Lei.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Definitely don't use Elay in English, at least not for the first name. You could name him Elias or something else suggested above, and just call him Elay all the time, even in English. Elay sounds very nice when spoken, but on paper, it looks awful and silly. Or, just name him Yi Lei.