Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    For me, meaning means absolutely nothing. If a name I like happens to have a good meaning, cool, if not, oh well. I wouldn't let a meaning, that virtually no one will know, stop you from using a name that you love.
    Ian Alexander Cameron Blaise Damien Cole Axel Sean Callum Bryce Lennox Beau
    Blair Annevieve Camryn Atalya Piper Caydence Tallulah Sage Senna Kai Haven Lux

My daughter's name is sometimes listed as meaning bitter but I absolutely love her name and it's a family name so I think more of those she was named after then what it means.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

I don't pay too much attention to the name. Like the example Lilith - every name book and website I look at has a different meaning, most say "Of the night" though. Some struggle with that Lilith was a demon, but I've got a bit of a differnet view - for me she was the first feminist, she refused to be below Adam but wanted to be equal - a notion I can only mentally high-five.

My eldest sons name apparently means sadness (trist) or riot or something simillar and my youngest means peace. Well, my eldest is far from sad and my youngest far from peaceful.

I don't pay too much attention to the meaning, more to the legends, myths, literary use and name sakes of the name as they tend to be more important and what people associate the name with.

Quote Originally Posted by lilauburn13 View Post
    For me, meaning means absolutely nothing. If a name I like happens to have a good meaning, cool, if not, oh well. I wouldn't let a meaning, that virtually no one will know, stop you from using a name that you love.
    Yes, this.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerian View Post
    Some struggle with that Lilith was a demon, but I've got a bit of a differnet view - for me she was the first feminist, she refused to be below Adam but wanted to be equal - a notion I can only mentally high-five.
    Oh, I want to give you a big big hug right now!!!

I think the literal meaning of a name is less important than the personal significance it holds for you. If you love it then that's what's important. The etymology of names are weird and often very incorrect. When I see Mallory I think of Thomas Malory who wrote Le Morte d'Arthur, not it's literal meaning of unfortunate.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]