Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Does Meaning Matter?

For a long time I have really liked the name Mallory. I think it is cute, elegant and I love the potential nickname of "Mal". However, the meaning of Mallory (unlucky) turns me off the name. So I was wondering if the meaning of a name affects what you think of it? Also, would pick a name for your child that you really liked, regardless of it's meaning?
    Just an 18 year old girl who loves thinking about baby names and watching TV

Show I am currently watching... Forever

Names from the show I like...

Henry, Morgan, Reece, Hanson, Abe & Lucas

Jo & Joanna

I do take the meaning into consideration. For example: I really like the name Lilith, but the meaning "ghost; night monster" is a little too much for me.
    A teenage writer and name lover~
    India Rosemary, Priscilla Beatrice, Louisa Eleanor, Anastasia Faye, Valentina Jane, Flora Guinevere
    Winston Kenneth, Malachi Oliver, Roscoe Carlisle, Simon Glenn, Francis Arthur, Abraham Reuben

Unfortunately, I do look at meaning. And it is so annoying, because really it doesn't matter. But I want my child to have a nice meaning for their name. I guess it would depend on how much I loved the name.

It's a little unfortunate that Mallory means unlucky. But I know a few Mallorys who seem fine with their names. I'm not sure if they know the meaning or not, but I'm sure they got over it. Honestly, it's a little funny that it means unlucky. I think if you look at it with a laugh, what's the big deal?

I don't really look to into meaning. I know several Mallory/Mallorie's and they all have been nice girls. Most "normal" people don't even care about what the name means and probably wouldn't bother to look it up.

If anything, it does sound a little dated
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables