Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Avelyn: love or hate?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love

7 24.14%
  • Hate

22 75.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Avelyn: hit or miss?

I'm looking for a unique, feminine girls name and thought of Avelyn as an option. I can't find the name anywhere, but really like it. Looking for some honest opinions about it....

I'm not quite sure how to pronounce it. Is it A-vah-lyn or Ah-vah-lyn? The spelling itself looks so trendy with the -lyn ending and the similarities to names like Ava, Avery, Evelyn, ect. I'm honestly not a fan. Perhaps you would like the name Avalon?
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

I don't despise it, per say, but I dislike it. The immediate thing that comes to mind is a misspelled version of Evelyn, and I'm not a huge fan of the sound (I'm guessing it's AH-veh-lin). The random Y there in the ending only contributes to, in my opinion, the modern, invented look about the whole name.
    There are plenty of lesser-known Ava/Eve variants that are beautiful. I'd suggest Aveline, for you, in particular.

There is a perfectly fine French name of Aveline so I don't find trendy Avelyn particularly appealing. It just another modern invention along the lines of Adalyn/Adelyn/Madelyn.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Pronounced aH-veh-lyn, like Evelyn.

And the play on misspelling (a la Jaxson etc) is something I want to avoid. I just loved the way the name flowed and like the way it looks.... back to the drawing board.